Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this axle (1978 F-250 D44 8 lug) and I'm looking for some info on it.

1. I found out the axles shafts are longer than the F-150, but is it just the outters?

2. I'm going to install this in my Toyota so I'm going to try to swap the pumpkin to the passenger side - anyone done anything like this in the Ford section?

3. I heard parts are high because this is supposed to be a rare axle - only made two years?!?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I just put that same axle in my 68 EB. Parts are pretty easy to find. I got my axles, ring and pinion and install kit from www.completeoffroad.com, and all of the bearing, races, seals, ball joints from NAPA. You can get a locker from just about anywhere. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
question #2, im sure it can be done, im also sure it will be time consuming and probably expensive, where a chevy axle would be a lot better solution (unless your trying to retain the high pinion)

question #3, i believe most everything made for a d44 will fit these axles with the exception of the ring and pinion, but, they make those for about the same price as a regular one, so its not really an issue, everything for mine has been easy to locate.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Q-1 The inners are the longer ones.
The parts for this axle are very common and can be swapped to no end. You will need chevy knucles out to have the same bolt patternas the Toy. Get some flat tops while your at it for highsteer. I put dodge knuckles out for my five lug needs. Bought a new lockright off ebay for 200 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RockStomper-Toy said:
I got this axle (1978 F-250 D44 8 lug) and I'm looking for some info on it.

1. I found out the axles shafts are longer than the F-150, but is it just the outters?

2. I'm going to install this in my Toyota so I'm going to try to swap the pumpkin to the passenger side - anyone done anything like this in the Ford section?

3. I heard parts are high because this is supposed to be a rare axle - only made two years?!?
The inners are diffrent than the 150, the 77-79 should be the same outer as teh f-150. The big hub ones are longer.

All F-250s use the same inner axle, no matter if it is high or low pinion.

Swaping the pumpkin is a PITA, but do-able.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info

Yep, I want to use this axle because of the HP, and I know it won't be cheap but everything you do today ain't cheap. (Diesel fuel $2.35 to $2.49 a gallon :eek: ) I'll be keeping it 8 lugs because I'm going to run a 14 bolt in the rear and I'll be keeping them full width also.

What other vehicle uses the same front brake calipers? This thing was missing one when I got it.

I did find some info in the Gen 4x4 section about tube swapping and it seems to be allot easier to do then a D60 front - even rotating knuckles. I may attempt this myself as I do have access to a 100 ton press :p But I will need to find a machine shop to carve down the new axle tube for the install and seal location. What type of steel should you use for the axle tube and are there any specs for dimensions on insert areas and seal locations?

I'm building another rig (slowly) and it will be using a Ford 5.0, Ford frt. D60 HP, a rear 14 bolt, NP205 with a 203 reduction. I need to get a C-6 small block, 14 Bolt rear and I have a line on a 203. So most of the components I have but that's another story.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
emsoffroad said:
The inners are diffrent than the 150, the 77-79 should be the same outer as teh f-150. The big hub ones are longer.
How can you tell if you have one with large hubs Vs. small? All I have to campare it to is my Ford D60 front.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RockStomper-Toy said:
Thanks for the info

What other vehicle uses the same front brake calipers? This thing was missing one when I got it.

I did find some info in the Gen 4x4 section about tube swapping and it seems to be allot easier to do then a D60 front - even rotating knuckles. I may attempt this myself as I do have access to a 100 ton press :p But I will need to find a machine shop to carve down the new axle tube for the install and seal location. What type of steel should you use for the axle tube and are there any specs for dimensions on insert areas and seal locations?

I'm building another rig (slowly) and it will be using a Ford 5.0, Ford frt. D60 HP, a rear 14 bolt, NP205 with a 203 reduction. I need to get a C-6 small block, 14 Bolt rear and I have a line on a 203. So most of the components I have but that's another story.
All the dual piston calipers from the fords are the same from start of use till 85-86 when they went to the rubber/metel sleve that hold them in. I always swith over to the early 80's one piece calipers when I build them.

If you like the width the axle is now, you can pull the tubes and reinsert them in the other sides.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
emsoffroad said:
All the dual piston calipers from the fords are the same from start of use till 85-86 when they went to the rubber/metel sleve that hold them in. I always swith over to the early 80's one piece calipers when I build them.
My 95 F250 (D50) has twin pistons with sliding screw in pins. Not sure what year they switched from the rubber wedge to those.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
emsoffroad said:
If you like the width the axle is now, you can pull the tubes and reinsert them in the other sides.

I've never attempted axle tube removal yet but do have the ability and tools to do it. From reading info I've search here, I was under the impression the tubes would be messed up from removal. What do you do to the tube after you torch out the button plugs? Do you weld up the holes in the tubes and grind them down smooth for re-insertion? This seems like a great idea as long as I don't damage them too bad.

Don't tell me that a 72 3/4 ton van front brake calapers would work, I got rid of one of my parts vehicle earlier in the day before I found this D44 front end.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts