Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i purchased a HP D44 out of a 78 F-250. it needs new calipers and i was wondering if there was anything i could go with besides remans? if not its cool, im just checking out all of my options. if there is nothing but remans for this axle, is there any place online i can get them cheep to compare to my local parts store?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I got new ones from NAPA when I ran a 79 44. I can get you part #'s in the AM

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've seen at least one here on P4x4 where they adapted 1/2 ton Chevy calipers to work. It was most likely on a 60, but the brakes are the same between the two.

Not sure if it was a kit or if it was homebrew though.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Typically, Ford people who switch to Chevy calipers do so to run 15" wheels instead of the 16" minimum wheels that the Ford dual piston calipers require you to run. If you need to run 15" wheels, or you just want smaller, weaker brakes, then all you need to do is to change the caliper bracket with a custom one made to run Chevy calipers on Ford axles. Many on ebay, probably can check venders here first for a better deal or even a better bracket.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Typically, Ford people who switch to Chevy calipers do so to run 15" wheels instead of the 16" minimum wheels that the Ford dual piston calipers require you to run. If you need to run 15" wheels, or you just want smaller, weaker brakes, then all you need to do is to change the caliper bracket with a custom one made to run Chevy calipers on Ford axles. Many on ebay, probably can check venders here first for a better deal or even a better bracket.
Im runnin 15's on dual pistons...with some grinding of the caliper to fit..

I think napa sells a rebuild kit for the dual pistions...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've seen at least one here on P4x4 where they adapted 1/2 ton Chevy calipers to work. It was most likely on a 60, but the brakes are the same between the two.

Not sure if it was a kit or if it was homebrew though.
yes and only and idiot would run 15 inch rims and put chevy calipers on the front of their fullsize ford. :flipoff2:

most auto part stores sell remans and new calipers. new ones are usually pricier though. alot of the reman ones are funky . you might get one caliper with a new housing and another with a factory dayton housing. most reman ones i have used and seen are interchangeable for left and right so you can put the bleeder on the inside or outside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not interested in running 15 inch rims, im going to be running 17 inch rims and 37 inch tires. the calipers are not worth rebuilding, ill have to get reman ones if there are no after market calipers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts