Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well.... i picked up a 79 bronc that i want to build, i have a 96 f-350 that has a salvage title...= not worth much to resale...soooo i want to swap in the f-350 axles to the 79.... i know at least 1 guy on here has 1 ton under a bronco....but he used leafs up front...i'm wanting to build a new radius arm that instead of using c-bushings......bolts to the leaf spring mounts on the axle......i was just wondering if anyone had done something similiar and if they had pics....i have an idea of the design...but always open to suggestions..... the other question is...the 10 1/4 has ABS....i don't think it will have any negative affect...but i don't know everything.... heard of swapping in 2wd F-350 master cyllinder for the brakes....is this the easiest way??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Well I do not think that it will work. I was going to put a 95 D60 under my f150 but there is not enough room between the knuckel and the pumpkin. The only way I figure it can work is if you retube the short side. If you can make it work with coils and not having to retube let me know so i can do it on mine. Good luck. I do not see any problems with the rear end.

·
Premium Member
19,777 Posts
Making the front suspenison coilswith out radius arms is called a link type, :rolleyes:
Go search the Genral 4x4 for a "God of suspension thread" and read up

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
How much tube is there on the later housings from the inner c to the center section. On mine(78-79), obviously more space, but for placement of my brackets for the radius arm, link and coil cup was 4in. out from the inner c. This was on an eb, so I'm not sure if your frame is wider or not but the way I did it may work for your application.
The pic make more sense than what I wrote.:flipoff2:
what I did
front view
crappy pics
pic3
pic4

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
re late model D60

The front:
Not what I would endorse but have seen this done:
You can "trim" about .5-.75 " off the edge of the of the center chunk section where the tube comes out. Measure the total width of the Cmount with whatever type of Radius arm you are going to use(I have the extended Duffs arm on my '79 D60 axle under an eb). Measure on the late model what room you have and how close to the spot welds on the chunk you are comfortable with and check it out. The install I saw was on an eb and he got away with removing very little of the center setion.
If you are going to part out the F350, maybe you can get enough out of various parts and the front to purchase a '78-79 D60 front. they run anywhere from 750-1300, depending on how pround the owner is.
Another option viewed on a brand "x" vehicle. A guy had a late model D60 under a heep with coilovers. He used the stock leaf spring pad as a starting point for lower coilover mounts. His drivetrain was a tricked up 347, C4 and Atlas. So....he wanted the chunk on the left side for his Ford Drivetrain to work.
ON the rear:
I have heard you can just leave the abs plug in "capped" and not worry about that.
A little know fact on rears: the '89 E350 Vans had a "heavy duty D60-some call it a D61 which will accept 35spline axles without modification to the outer bearing deal. This axle also had abs. A local friend is in the process of a buildup using this housing in an eb/buggy.
HTH

·
Registered
285 Posts
well like the others said, the only direct fit axle for a 78-79 is from a 78-79. the booster/MC combo is A1Cardone part number is 50-9337. thats for the 79 only. its from an F350 dually 2WD. here is a cool link to a sweet 4 link set up. 4 link i hope it helps. i am close to getting my D60s in and i already want a 10.25 man this gets addictive. i had to read your screen name several times & finally read it from back to front & started laughing, pretty funny. good luck, AXE

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welndmn.....ford front end is a 3 link set up........ i'm just planning on building "radius arms" that don't use c-bushings...they bolt to the leaf spring perch......still accomplishes the same thing.....holds the "radius" of the axle and the front to rear locate. my buddy had already done one like this.....it works. i was just wondering if anybody else has done something like it.....
my main question was concerning the brake issue....with the abs rear... and the master cyllinder swap to take care of 1 ton brakes. If i did swap to leaf's up front......i know i could go through national.....but what aftermarket 4-6" spring would be a good candidate...ie.....80 chevy, 78 wagoneer.....just getting some more ideas
thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.