Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm searching for info on which setup would be better 79 cherokee 44's or chevy 44/12 bolt combo in a YJ 4.2, TF999, D300, 35's or 36's? I've searched and will continue but havn't found a comparision thread. any info would be appreciated.
thanks alot

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
You don't mention the suspension you want.

If you want SOA, go with the GM, it has the SOA mount already, but is wider than YJ.

For SUA or to get closer to YJ width, the Wagoneer / Cherokee are great axles.

I'd skip the 12 bolt, though they are c-clip and have somewhat limited gear and locker options.

That 79 Cherokee may have an offset rear end if it is qaudratrack.

Rick

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'd go w/ the 44. I hate c-clips, and I hear of more people fawking up 12 bolts than I do d44's. oh, and rickb, the Suspension don't matter, its not like the spring perches are in the right position anyway for pinion angles or frame rail width.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well i will be going SOA. I was wondering about the 12 bolt. Havn't heard much info on it. If i go with the cherokee i'm thinking using its 44 front and either a 9 inch or maybe a 60 in the rear. I think i'll just keep my eyes open for a chevy 44 front, 70's so i can get the flat top knuckles
thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey there.. i would watch out for those cherokee's.. the chiefs were wide track.. about 66"... non chiefs were 63".. same as a wagoneer..
for axles.. i would look into some 74-76 jeep wagoneer front axle.. (flat top knuckles) also.. about the same year dodge half tons had them also (flat top knuckles)... the dodge and chevy axles are going to be wide.. around the 66" mark.. if you go with around 63".. like a waggy.. it will only be several inches wider than what you have.. i run 35x12.5's on the street with 8" rims.. and 6" extended flares.. and im street legal.. tire hangs out 2" max..
for a rear axle look into a 1980 - 1991 wagoneer/grand wagoneer (the fullsize version) for the rear axle..
we have tons of them around here.. but it all depends on what you want to do.. how wide i guess actually.. and how much $ and work you want to put into them..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only bad thing i can think of about full size axles is if i break i won't fit on alot of the trailers that people i wheel with bring. Pretty much i'll get whatever i can find thats cheapest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts