Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 79 CJ5 and i'm wanting to put a 350 chevy small block with a SM465 manual trans. with a 208 transfer case. My first question would be is would the engine and tranny be too long for a CJ5? My next question would be what are the best motor mount conversion sets and radiators to use for this swap?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure on the TC, but on the engine and tranny you won't add much if any length. Novak weld in motor mounts give you the most flexibility, but you must have welding skills or access to someone who does. Swap radiators are common, I got mine from Jeepdoc.com

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I recently bought a 79 CJ5 and i'm wanting to put a 350 chevy small block with a SM465 manual trans. with a 208 transfer case. My first question would be, is the engine and tranny be too long for a CJ5?
It will fit fine. This is a very common swap, with tons of aftermarket support. However, I'd dump the NP208 idea and either run an adapted Dana 20 or Dana 300. Might also want to consider either an Atlas or STaK, if you plan of putting any mods into either the 20 or 300.

My next question would be what are the best motor mount conversion sets
There are many really good products out there. Depending on your bank account, availability, etc.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/BombProof MM/bombproof.htm
I have their small block Ford mounts, excellent product, excellent customer service.

and radiators to use for this swap?
Also lots of good options from regular brass all the way to aluminum models. You will probably want to consider running an electric fan. I got my 4 row radiator from Extreme Radiator. Good prices, excellent customer service, outstanding packing/shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts