Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
i don't have a single damn thing to add but....i love the rig man and keep it coming you're inspiring me to de-evole mine back into something streetable!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Thought yall might like to see some pics of the '79 pulling work truck duty:

We had 15-20" of snow here and the F-250 was down so the '79 was enlisted to haul my tractor to do some snow removal jobs. I found a 10" drop hitch, wired up a trailer plug, loaded up and headed out. First time towing a trailer with it and I'm headed out in the worst conditions possible. :shaking:

Surprisingly, for such a short wheelbase, a spool, and TSLs it towed really well. Made two 20mi round trips and only had to use 4wd a few times, mostly to make it up my driveway which had drifted 2+ feet deep by the time I got home. (Think full throttle assault with snow geysers coming off all four tires....and it still took three attempts.) If I use it to tow much more this winter I'm going to mount a different set of tires on it (7.50-16 muds on steelies) to keep from chewing up the swampers so much.

Don't have much else in the way of updates, we wheeled Potts jeep trail a couple weeks ago in about 12" of snow and that was a blast. Pretty damn tough, I was the unofficial yanker of the strap for a good part of the trip.

I'm hoping to get a new trail rear driveshaft made before spring (square tube, trail only, indestructible), and maybe get some higher clearance radius arm mounts made up. If I get any of that done I'll keep yall posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Man i love this build. Simple, not over the top, and very effective. Wanting to remove some lift and do something similar to my '79 to make it more useful as an everyday rig. Keep up the good work:smokin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just read through the whole thread. That's one hell of a truck you've got there. Definitely gives me a lot of inspiration for my 77.

Keep up the good work :smokin:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just read through the whole thread. That's one hell of a truck you've got there. Definitely gives me a lot of inspiration for my 77.

Keep up the good work :smokin:
Also just finished reading through the whole thread. Thanks for all the great ideas! I have a '78 F150 I just bought that I'm fixing and getting ready to head out onto the trails. My current plans with the rig are to just get it put back together and running, the wheel it and fix and upgrade it as it breaks :D

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Just bought a 78 F150 short box, pretty much a beater but I will get it to daily driver status soon.

nice thread. Nothing better than old trucks. :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 · (Edited)
Simple, not over the top, and very effective.
That's exactly what this whole rig is about, and part of what makes wheeling it so much fun. Nothing like the look on peoples faces when they see what appears to be an old farm truck following rock buggies up the trail.:smokin:

Of course its not as capable as most of them, but with some good driving and a little luck I've wheeled some damn hard trails. Future plans basically revolve around making the truck even more capable while keeping the same tire size, ride height, body, etc. More ground clearance, better protection, and a little deeper gearing should hopefully accomplish this. I've also been looking at another 351 Windsor sitting on my engine stand and am envisioning a 392" full-roller motor...but that will be awhile.

:beer:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Absolutely fawking LOVE the build and the rig man. Heres my junk. Its a 9" w/ Detroit & 4.56's, D44 w/ a Auburn Gear Posi & 4.56's. Motor is a healthy 9.5:1 400. C6/205. Running 35x12.50 MTR's now but I'm ordering some Q78 TSL's with my tax refund. Still 100% street legal and gets driven quite a bit.

Keep up the good work and please keep updating this thread w/ pics.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Well, got the truck out and did some good wheeling this past weekend at Harlan so I thought I'd update the thread.

Few pics:

Hill climb out of Middle fork playground:

Lower rock garden:

Grape Vine:

On the trail down after coming out of Crawfords Cry:

Here's a couple vids of me giving those hill climbs a shot, I made the one in the first vid last time I was there, its gotten a good bit worse/slicker since then. I had to pedal it just to stay moving, too much throttle and it would break the tires loose and I'd start going backwards, lol.

We ran Lower, Middle and Upper rock garden, Grape Vine, Rail Bed, Crawfords Cry, as well as a few trails that either weren't named or I can't remember the names of. I can say that the trails have gotten a good bit tougher since the last time I was there, made for some superb wheeling.

Overall it was a great trip, the only real carnage I had was a Warn premium hub that I blew into about 40 pieces on Grapevine. Of course, this also popped the pins and springs in the Aussie locker, but that's expected. Swapped in a new locking hub in a few minutes and wheeled the rest of the weekend (with the front locker acting like a spool due to breaking the pins).

The only two other problems were a rear axle seal that went bad (for the 3rd time in under 1000mi), and either a hydraulic lifter that went bad or we wiped a lobe off the cam. I'll have to look into those problems later, but the lifter/cam problem shouldn't be a hard fix, worst case I need a new cam, which will be a good time to upgrade to stud mount rocker arms and the proper valve springs. It might just be as simple as dropping a new lifter in.

The rear axle I'm not as sure about. Due to the frequency of the seals going bad I'm wondering if I've either bent the housing or an axle shaft. If this is the case I might go with one of the Extra Heavy-duty Currie housings with some Alloy USA shafts. I might also call our local axle builder and see what he could come up with.

I'll post more pics if I get any, and pics of the repairs/upgrades as they come.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey Grubb, its Alec from Sinking Creek. Just finished up reading through the thread (never read it in its entirety before). As you well know, love your '79, and am looking forward to wheelin' with you again next year with the club (hopefully a little more built up than the Bronco is now :smokin:). I was :shaking: at the guys giving a nice guy and great driver grief who didnt even know you. Talk to you later.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
What symptoms does the 351W have?

·
Registered
612 Posts
What symptoms does the 351W have?
One rocker arm has about 1/8" of play and only barely moves the valve when the lobe comes up. However, we've noticed that when the engine is cold, the cylinder will seem to come back until it warms up a little. The lobe may be damaged, but I really believe that the lifter has blown out. As soon as my junk is running maybe he'll have the drive to jerk off the intake and figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a little tip. if you want your front to actually flex ditch the stock rear bushing sutep on the radius arms and use large heim joints. the track bar is what centers the axle so side to side movemnet won't be the issue. the radius arms mind at those rear bushings. that's what is limiting ur front axle travel. beem there done that. and also, you can clear 38.5's with 4 inch lift, but it is really tight and requires a lot of trimming. i still had to trim with 8 inches lift in my 78 bronco. but it also flexes alot. but just remember. if you really want to go up in tire size and also flex, you're gonna have to lift alot more or just tube out the rig. otherwise you won't have the clearence in the fenderwells.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I've read this thread in it's entirety 2 or 3 times! Awesome weekend wheeler you've built!

I recently inherited a '78 Bronco... 400M, NP435, 205, 3.50 geared HP44 and 9". I was unsure which direction I wanted to take it. For what I'll be doing with it, a set up very much like yours will be all it'll need. The occasional trail ride... but mostly daily driving and recovery. I've been dreaming of doublers, 4bt swaps, and one tons.... but that'd be overkill for my local terrain and needs. If 1/2ton running gear gets it done? ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
and also, you can clear 38.5's with 4 inch lift, but it is really tight and requires a lot of trimming. i still had to trim with 8 inches lift in my 78 bronco. but it also flexes alot. but just remember. if you really want to go up in tire size and also flex, you're gonna have to lift alot more or just tube out the rig. otherwise you won't have the clearence in the fenderwells.
Where did he ever say that he wanted to go up in tire size? Not everyone wants to run 44s...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
where'd this thing go? it was definetly a cool ass truck!
I still have it and go wheeling as often as I can (headed out on a trip tomorrow actually). I haven't changed anything on the truck in a few years which is why there haven't been any updates. I guess it's a novel idea on this forum to do more wheeling than building. :flipoff2:

There are a few minor things I'd like to work on, but honestly I've been to busy to work on it much. Someday I'd like to do a rear disc brake swap and line locks, maybe relocate the radius arm mounts up higher. There's also a 351w on my engine stand just begging to be built and put in the truck. Next time around it will be balanced and blueprinted, full-roller valvetrain, better heads, a little more compression, maybe even knock it out to 393" :smokin:

401 - 420 of 442 Posts