Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the axle. Got the springs over it and the Jeep set back down...and now I have a question.

I need to bolt the 2.5" wide YJ spring to the new axle tubes. I need the bottom plate that the u-bolts bolt to (under the axles). Is there a kit for this? I also need the plate on the top of the spring.

Where is the search function?

·
Registered
385 Posts
you need to buy something here to search, when i did my SOA i used the idea from the early jeeps and welded a large bolt to the plate for the shock mount....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really looking for the shock mount now. On the axle I am swapping in, I cannot use the standard U-bolt since the driver side spring perch sits partially on the pumpkin. The bottom of the axle uses has a piece that you need to clamp to the axle to hold the square u-bolts in. This piece goes around the pumpkin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out picture 17 in your second link. That is the plate on the bottom of the axle that I need custom I believe. I thought about notching the pumpkin like you said only to use a round ubolt inverted. I was hoping that someone made that piece I can just get for the bottom of the axle and will work with the 2.5" wide YJ spring.

I'd eventually do a lont term fix. I just need to get this thing rolling asap.

take an angle grinder and cut notches into the pumpkin. You want to add about some spring plate to the side of the pumpkin and weld that on, then move the centering hole about a 1/2".

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/yjrcdana44/

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

·
Registered
654 Posts
It only takes between 30 and 45 minutes of grinding to get it to work. YOu can have the Ubolt made, just take the top spring plate in for the exact width.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only takes between 30 and 45 minutes of grinding to get it to work. YOu can have the Ubolt made, just take the top spring plate in for the exact width.
That's what I am thinking about doing. I wasn't too sure about grinding there since that provides strength to the housing.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Mine's ground out, it's fine. The axle tubes are so damn thick it ain't gonna bother it.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Not a 44 but it came with the same plates your axle did...my waggy ubolts worked with a add a leaf too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great picture, thanks! What did you use for a top plate? The factory plate wont be wide enough for my new axle tube.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Great picture, thanks! What did you use for a top plate? The factory plate wont be wide enough for my new axle tube.
Factory wagoneer plate, I ground the axle until it did work. Wasn't much, a little off the front, a little off the back. You can see the shiney part where I ground it on the back side. .......grinder is your :beer:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking about grinding the bottom only where the U of the bolt goes. I'll get a wider u-bolt then to go around the larger diameter part of the pumpkin. I think I'll need a custom plate made for the top though that has one side of the u bolt holes farther apart than the other side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts