Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 79' Ford F350 4x4 have a proportioning valve?

I'm putting the axles, brakes and master cylinder from that truck under my 94 K1500

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't seem to find one at a parts store.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
ubbzy said:
I can't seem to find one at a parts store.

And you probably won't.

You need to search Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, AutoKrafter's, LMC, or even Ebay. Or you could try calling a local salvage yard for a used one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well in that case could I use the valve from my truck? It has disc drum.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
ubbzy said:
Well in that case could I use the valve from my truck? It has disc drum.

I don't know how the factory settings Chevy prescribed for its truck would function on your new axles. But, you could always try.

Or you could run a complete new rear brake circuit from the master cylinder. In this new circuit, you could install a "tunable" prop. valve. Summit carries a manual proportioning valve for about half the cost, or cheaper, of a new prop. valve for the older Fords.

But you will need to have some experience with bending and flaring tube. Also, you will need to rent/buy a double flaring setup.

Summit prop valve

·
Registered
493 Posts
There is one there, it is on the inside of the frame rail below the master and booster. They are sometimes called a combination valve...depends who you talk to.

I agree with Aces' n'8s though...do yourself a favor and pick up an adjustable valve...that way you can tune the brakes to the truck. I think that it is especially helpfull if you have rear disks.

I used one when I did my brakes. I didn't even try to use the stock one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept the rear drums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts