Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave up trying to title two FJ 60 Land Cruisers that I was going to Frankenstein together and I was essentially building a Chevy anyway so... I
bought a 79 blazer and got it home...

It's pretty stock, although it has a very low mile Jasper 300hp 355 in it. The whole frame and body is virtually rust free so its a nice platform to start on. Runs great and passed DEQ with flying colors:

My son instantly claimed it as his... His nickname is "H-bomb" so that's the reason for the name of the build.

Interior is fair but not awesome:

My wife refused to even get in so I chose the start the build in the interior:

New belts

Fixed the passenger window with a new regulator and motor.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got to say the "direct fit" corbeau brackets are complete sh*t. The driver side went ok at best and the passenger side was a joke. I had to make my own holes and anchors. I contacted corbeau but the esentially told me to go F*** myself. Not only that but the passenger side no longer "tumbles". I knew I should have fabbed up some myself. The seats themselves are pretty nice and very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I originally planned on building a mid 80s land cruiser but due the vehicle being out of state and not running it was a pain in the ass to try to title in Oregon. I do have a great list of parts that I'm robbing from it though:

-Recently refreshed Big Block 454
-Griffin Radiator
-Gov bomb14 bolt rear end (to be replaced with either a detroit or arb)
-Dana 60 front with a TBD locker in the front (to be replaced with an arb)
-203/205 with NWF shifters/cables
-TH350 with an art carr shifter (to be swapped out to TH400 or 4L80e)
-PSC steering ram and pump
-Drilled and tapped Chevy steering box
-63 in rear springs
-8" Superlift springs up front
-Drivelines
-Etc...

Decent factory heads:

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I was poking around your Cruiser thread the other day........this should be fun.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was poking around your Cruiser thread the other day........this should be fun.
Always enjoy your builds. I'm actually kinda flattered that you were checking it out. Were you looking at the first (blue one) I built or or the more recent one (the donor cruiser of this thread)?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing is beautiful. I would have a hard time even thinking about wheeling it.
This build is going to be more of a good ol'boy truck for mud and light crawling. The crawling thing is cool but I'm kinda over it at this point. I want something that is going to be fun to drive to the dunes, play in the mud, and peel out in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that steering box you've got already tapped is an inside frame box. These trucks are outside frame boxes. It'll be a massive pain in the ass trying to get that box to work.

Love the truck though. Best front grille style in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I'm not mistaken, that steering box you've got already tapped is an inside frame box. These trucks are outside frame boxes. It'll be a massive pain in the ass trying to get that box to work.

Love the truck though. Best front grille style in my opinion.
Good eye. Didn't even notice that yet. No big deal. Probably just sell the one I have and tap the one on the blazer.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decision time... Build the Big Block and drop it in or get the one tons/tires under there? I don't want the rig to be down for the entire summer and want to enjoy it... so I want to do one or the other but not both at the same time.

So axles... that would require:

-a new steering box as my dana 60 is already set up for hydro and crossover steering (need 2wd box)

-xj shaft as long as I'm doing the box

-Top spring plates (UD plates from DIY4x)

-might as well grab new ubolts

-Driveshaft modifcations- this one is tough. I have the doubler and the th400 to think about and dont really want to pay to modify them twice.

-pretty sure I can rob the brake lines from the parts rig but need fittings

-Shocks

-new 14 bolt perches

-traction bar

-modify exhaust as it terminates right where the shackle reversal would be

-degree shims

-rear 4" lift springs to match the 8" springs up front (shackle reverse to make up the difference)

-dyna beads for balancing beadlocks/tires.

What else am missing?

OR

Motor swap/build-

-DYI4x competition mounts

-electric fuel pump

-fuel pump regulator

-headers. Looks like people are pretty happy with the sanderson BB8s?

-Build exhaust

-what else for the actual swap?

Oooo... and the back seat came back today. For those in Oregon, Beaverton Upholstery did a fantastic job. Very very pleased with their work.

Drove it to work today too:

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
What top is that and where did you buy it? Diggin it so far, gonna be pretty cool when it's done.
Travis..

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
I'd get the tons ready to go and hopefully swap them in over a long weekend.

Keep the K5 a driver until then.

Do it in stages with completed drop in sub assemblies.

I've lost so damn much time and wheeling cuz I tore my shit down with too many lofty goals that my free time could not cash...

My daughters, my job and my home always took precedence.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd get the tons ready to go and hopefully swap them in over a long weekend.

Keep the K5 a driver until then.

Do it in stages with completed drop in sub assemblies.

I've lost so damn much time and wheeling cuz I tore my shit down with too many lofty goals that my free time could not cash...

My daughters, my job and my home always took precedence.
I hear ya there... My blue cruiser was like that. Managed to pack up my wife 3 kids plus and gear into it yesterday for a day out at my brother in laws house. It was really kinda fun to get the fam in there and drive out there with the top rolled up.

My little girl fishin'

My brother in law has a pretty sweet baja that we ran around the property (80 acres)... Even has a motorcycle track on the property.

Needs maintenance and this is just one part of it

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Oregon just totally ROCKS over 48 other states....Alaska tops it.

Enjoy your girls....they grow up too fast.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I think the axles would be the logical first step, I put tons under mine pretty easy, almost everything was reused. I changed the u-bolts and the front u-joint in the front driveshaft. That's all I can remember changing off the top of my head, shafts fit fine on the length. Steering gear box can be done reasonably too and might be a great time to add the brace to help prevent cracking the frame. I like the redo on the back seat, whole blazer looks pretty nice overall. Now update us....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts