Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently here is what I have

1987 Toyota 4-runner with the 22re 4cyl and the A340H 4 speed auto.

I came across a complete 89 supra with a 7MGE & A340E 4 speed auto.

Not sure if this would work, but anyone know if I could swap the bellhousing on the automatic from the supra to my mini truck tranny and bolt the engine in? Are the bellhousings on the autos even removable? If the trannys are the same, what about the torque converter, and could I use the TQ from the supra onto the mini truck tranny without any issues.

For the wiring, what are the odds that the EFI harness from the supra, would snap into the harness (or switch plugs) from the mini truck tranny for control of the mini truck tranny? If they are the same # tranny, they should be controled/designed the same internally, correct? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
892 Posts
The bellhousings are removable on the auto trannies. Not sure about the electrics, but for fitting the A340H tothe A340E, you will definitely need to change the bellhousing and torque converter. If there are differences in the input shafts length betweeen the two (probably), then you'll also need to remove the oil pump/inout shaft and swap those as well.

I'm swapping in a 1UZ into my 3VZ 4Runner while switching to a A340F. I just had to do all this swapping. See this post:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4173540&postcount=49

It's really easy. I'd pay attention to where the speed sensors are on the 7M vs the 22re. You might need to move the sensors around.

You can't count on the A340 designation for them to be controlled the same. For example, an A340F from 1985 is not the same animal as an A340F from 2000. I think since they are nearly the same vintage, you are probably OK. See if the plugs are in the same place and have the same connectors. That would be a good indicator of compatibility.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Might be an extra solenoid in the Supra tranny for line pressure (S4) - but not in the 4x4 tranny. If so, just don't use the wire. The 4x4 tranny just uses a throttle cable.

The 340H has an S4, but it's for the tcase low gear, controlled by the ECU. You'll have to manually wire that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts