Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving the rig around the neighborhood and it died. Started back up fine but it seems like it is in limp mode on 4 cylinders. Pulled a code "Intake manifold runner control stuck open, Bank 1" What the heck does that mean? Any ideas, any thoughts appreciated:(

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
trouble code

Anybody?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I didnt no gm was using intake manifold runner valves but the fords have been using them for a while. its basically a little butterfly valve thats in each intake runner it controlls air flow usually only on warm up. on the fords the code is usually caused by a broken clip that holds the IMRC rod to the IMRC motor. so the motor trys to either close or open the valves but cant because the rod falls out.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
intake

Can it be fixed by just taking the intake off and replacing the clips if thats the problem? Thanks for the info.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
shit brett, I got nothing. what year is the 8.1? I have an 02 sitting on the shop floor I can look at to see If I can get a better look at anything.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motor

It's a 2002. Called waitforme performance and he wasn't much help. The only thing he said was to put a fuel pressure regulator it. We never had one on the 5.3's and they ran great.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
You didn't give a DTC code so I searched for "Intake manifold runner control stuck open, Bank 1" and came up with P1518

On an 8.1L DTC P1518 refers to the TAC (throttle actuator control) module.

If the computer thinks there is a loss of data or invalid data between the drive by wire compter and the ECM it sets this code.

Depending on the fault the ECM will run in "reduced power mode" which is what I think you're describing by saying it feels like it's running on 4cyl.

I've got a factory shop manual for an '02 open in front of me. I'm not interested in typing 4 pages of diagnotics in for you but PM me if you want me to scan it in. :D

First thing to check is the "Throt Cont" fuse. If there isn't a short in the wiring then the diagnostic will help you figure out if you need to change the TAC computer or the gas pedal assembly.

Edit - The manual also says P1518 will set if the battery voltage is too low. If you've run your battery down clear this code, charge the battery and try it again.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks J Bruce , That was the code number and I am sending you a pm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts