Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
any issues with this rear D44 swop???

i have:
(just bought, and new to XJ's) 94' XJ country. I6, AW4, HP-D30(27 spline), 8.25 (27spline), 3.54's, NP231. Command-Trac. with plans to purchase lift the end of this month, chop fenders, gears, lockers, and run 35's.

buying:
"a D44 from a 87' XJ, 3.54 gears, drums, no brakes, has strap-type yolk-not U bolts." ---is what im being told from seller.

will this be direct swop?
can i use the brakes off my 94 XJ?
good or bad choice?? any other issues to be concerned of?

thanks for any and all input.
johnny

·
Registered
201 Posts
it will swap right it, but I don't think you'll be having to many problems with the 8.25 and 35's. It's not a dana, but it's not a dana 35c either

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your response OX
that XJ D44 is only $350. would you not swop?
i have heard and read, that these 8.25's are not that strong when the wheeling gets hard. also there are many more upgrades possible for the D44.
please let me know what ya think
thanks
johnny

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ynnhoj said:

thanks JS.

would this be an advisable 'upgrade' for the XJ? or a waste of time, money and energy??

johnny
I'd rather have the D44 simply because there are many more locker and gear options available, you're also getting a 30 spline count over the weaker 27 spline 8.25.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
ynnhoj said:
which means i'll also have to upgrade my front HP-D30, which has 27 spline count???

thanks
johnny
That should be OK for the front if you don't get too happy with the stupid pedal. I would swap in the 44 rear.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ynnhoj said:
which means i'll also have to upgrade my front HP-D30, which has 27 spline count???

thanks
johnny
The stock 27 spline count is fine for the front. If you wanted to sink some serious loot into the HP30, ARB has developed a new 30 spline Air Locker with the help of Jason Bunch at Tri-County Gear. This allows you to run 30 spline D44 shafts along with the 297x joints. There's a write-up in the March issue of Peterson's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
greatly appeciate the suggestions and directions guys!!!

i would certainly like to hear from others as well. the more the better.
does anyone have a write up or web link the this swop???

i have searched this and other links that i have found on the web...not much out there involving any 8.25 info

thanks
johnny

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with the driveshaft...

currently running the 8.25 with the stock driveshaft. when the D44 is in place, i will surely need a shorter ds. what lift height can i run and keep the stock ds.???? 4"? 6"?

thanks
johnny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.