Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8.8 angle question??

I have a 97 XJ with a 8.25 in the rear. I picked up a 8.8 and want to get it set up with the perches and shock mounts welded on so I can just throw it in. The question is setting up the angle to get it right before I weld every thing on. I was thinking I could take my angle finder and put it on the pinion side and measure it off the 8.25 and then measure the angle on the spring perches. Then transfer this to the 8.8. Set the angle of the axle to the same then put the perches on and set them and weld away. But with the 8.8 being a high pinion I don’t think that would work out. So how about if I measure the angle off two of the cover bolts and then transfer that angle to the 8.8??? I have to bring the axle to get the welding done so its not like I can just throw the axle under the Jeep and set the angles up and weld them on. So what is the best way to figure this out with the axle out of the Jeep???
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Measure off the pinion yoke. You had it right the first time. High pinion? Is this a Currie center in a 9" if not then it will be a standard cut if it is a rear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a standartd 8.8 out of an explorer. I have not looked at it in a few months but I thought the pinion was higher than on the 8.25 in the Jeep now.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
bolt up your axle(loosely) with the spring perches unwelded. that way you can eyeball it better and get the angle and other measurements. When you got the axle where you want it just tack everything. Then pull it out and weld it up.

How i did my last one anyways... Hope this helps

Lee

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey LUVMYTJ that is how I want to do it but it does not look like it will happen that way. I dont have a welder. I know some one who can do the welding but they are not going to take up the time for me to drive over to there place and do all this work. So If I can figure it out before I get there and just bring the axle and get it set up then throw it in at home that is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You dont know anyone with a mig that they could come over and possibly weld it for ya??? If not you may be needin to go buy you a descent little wire gun or a old cracker box.. Go huntin around in the pawn shops if ya dont want to fork up the cash for a new 1..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know this sounds corny but what if ya put it under there as i stated and outlined the brackets with a sharpy or sumthin. Then borrow a pickup and haul it to where ever...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Gixer, if you don't mind the drive you would be welcome to bring it all down to my shop and after you set it up I could weld the perches on there. I am about 1.25 hours from the Verrazano.
If interested you can e-mail me at [email protected].

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey zachv that would be cool. Thanks I will try to get it done around here but if not I mgiht take you up on it,.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts