Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a Super 88 kit after the New Year and trying to decide on the locker. A brief history...

I've had a Detroit in my 8.8 that broke due to what I believe was a manufacturers defect...Eaton basically said screw you when I asked about a warranty fix.

I ran a mini spool and broke a stock shaft which stretched out the mini spool and rendered it useless. This is the only time I've broken a shaft in the 8.8 and I picked a bad line and got a tire wedged in an undercut ledge.

Due to the Eaton dilemma, I refuse to run another one of their lockers. I've been considering a lunch box like Aussie or Spartan or a full spool. Can't decide which direction I want to run.

I know how the spool will behave but not sure on the lunchbox lockers. I'm not worried about the strength of the carrier as it withstood the axle shaft breakage and mini spool stretching out. Suggestions/ideas?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
ARB is out of the question? If it is Id run the full spool for the same concerns you have about the Aussie etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive been debating on what locker to put in my 8.8 as well, do you daily drive this?
Yes, that is the other concern. With the mini spool, it was really only horrible in parking lots. Once on the road it wasn't much different than the Detroit.

As for the ARB, I'd rather not spend that much money on this axle...

·
Registered
41 Posts
so the spools arent that bad to drive with? what about in the snow and stuff? i was going to go with a lockright but the price of spool is really tempting

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the spools arent that bad to drive with? what about in the snow and stuff? i was going to go with a lockright but the price of spool is really tempting
My mini spool wasn't in long enough to tell. I've driven with the Detroit in snow and didn't have any problems at all. In fact, I barely had to use 4WD because of it. I wouldn't imagine a full spool being much different than a Detroit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spool. They're light, there's a million available for the 8.8, they're pretty cheap and you can't break it. My rear is welded for now, which acts the same as a spool. I drive it on the street all the time. It's not too bad in the snow. Like you said I very rarely need 4wd it goes really good in 2wd. When in 4wd it wanders around a little when the snow is inconsistent but not enough to bother me.

I'd look at some options other than the super 88. When I built the 8.8 for my Mustang I used Strange Engineering stuff. They're one of the best in the business and I got a package with 33 spline axles, the spool and c-clip eliminators for the same price as that Superior kit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The group I wheel with runs 3 8.8s. all of us are running them with either aussies, or lockrites. we have all been pretty happy with them. i run an 8.8 with 38s, 5:13s, and a lockrite. about 2 weeks ago I blew it all to shit..but honestly it was my fault, and the set up did last about 6 years so I was happy with it. and im actually putting it back together with the same components I had before.

I broke it on a steep hill, with a bunch of ruts, and roots running across it. wide open throttle...even when I was sliding backwards, and BAM...broke locker and ring and pinion in one fowl swoop.

with that said, Ive been the first to have a problem with any of our 8.8s, and were all running lunch box lockers. I have pretty good faith in that set up, but with 38s, and my driving style, something was bound to break.

unless your running c-clip eliminators, how are you planning on installing a spool BTW?

·
Registered
6 Posts
C-clip eliminators are a piece of cake, and a lot of companies sell the whole package. That's definitely a good way to break it haha. What broke in the locker? Did it break the carrier or something that would in turn break the ring gear? I'm willing to bet with a spool it would not have broken.. But who knows what would have broken instead, something had to give and it wasn't the driver! I like that. 8.8s are built to handle 800-1000rwhp in drag cars all the time. Housing strength is very important. Weld the tubes to the center section at least. Some guys brace them and use 9" ends too.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I've been running an aussie in mine for a few years and have no issues. (35's). I ran a spool in the last jeep and if you have decent tires it really tortures the shafts on the street.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm guessing chromo shafts would be fine on the road even with a spool and decent tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spool. They're light, there's a million available for the 8.8, they're pretty cheap and you can't break it. My rear is welded for now, which acts the same as a spool. I drive it on the street all the time. It's not too bad in the snow. Like you said I very rarely need 4wd it goes really good in 2wd. When in 4wd it wanders around a little when the snow is inconsistent but not enough to bother me.

I'd look at some options other than the super 88. When I built the 8.8 for my Mustang I used Strange Engineering stuff. They're one of the best in the business and I got a package with 33 spline axles, the spool and c-clip eliminators for the same price as that Superior kit.
I heard that the c-clip eliminator kits for Mustangs weren't designed to handle the side loads we see off road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard that the c-clip eliminator kits for Mustangs weren't designed to handle the side loads we see off road.
Really? I guess I could see that being possible. They seemed pretty damn beefy when I installed them but you never know I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
I have heard that before and don't believe it........... If the c-clip eliminators on an 8.8 are set up properly the end of the axleshaft should rest against the diff pin preventing any movement inwards, and the wheel bearing is pressed onto the shaft and locked in place with a c-clip in the bearing retainer bolted to the end of the axle tube preventing any movement outward........

Only C-clip elims. I see as not being strong are the older GM 10 & 12 bolt style that re-use the factory axles and have you chop the outer ends of the housing off to fit the bearing retainer on the axle tube. Those are drag race only parts!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My old mustang had 9" ends on 8.8 33 spline spool. It has been beat to death 600hp plus the nitrous 9 second passes. Never had a problem with it. The 9" ends are slick you need a bar and fixture to weld them straght. I know you don't want to spend the money non arbs but I really like the factory Rubicon lockers I have. If they break I would find a way to put arbs in them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just reading through your post.

So you had a detroit. It broke and you won't buy another one. ok, I can understand this line of thinking.

You added a mini spool. Drove it and broke a shaft, which in turn, sounds like the energy unloading from the break stretched the mini spool. Or it was stretching previously based on your driving style, but that did not cause the shaft to break.

So here is just a few things to think about.

You broke your axle first based on the situation and how you were driving it. When you were completely locked up with no way of release.

If you put enough stress on the axles to break one, I would think that you would probably be adding a weaker link to break with a lunchbox style. If you go with a selectable locker (ARB, Elocker, OX), then basically you are using a spool when engaged. If you drive the same way that you did with a spool, mini or or full. You would just break another axle shaft and then the locker it is attached to. The energy release when an axles breaks is tremendous. Now you would be out a more expensive selectable locker as no manufacturer will warranty their locker if the cause was a broken axle.

If you don't mind the characteristics of the spool. Then research larger shafts like the 33 spline mentioned above and go with a full spool.

Anything else and your moving in the wrong direction strength wise. If your driving style doesn't change (not saying it should) then I think you would be very unhappy with a lunchbox locker. You will hear all kinds of people say they do this or that and you will be ok. But you have already broken something that is stronger. Research is your friend. Most people on this board don't downgrade. They go stronger.

I run my 8.8 with the super 88 kits and a detroit. 5.7 vortec, 4 to 1 D300 and 4:56 gears pushing 37's. But, I am running an automatic. Which takes a lot of the stress off the driveline. I am looking at 40's and thinking of going this way myself with the 33 spline shafts and a spool. My CJ7 is light enough that it is rare that I could get the detroit to ratchet. So in essence it is a spool with a safety outlet to ratchet if needed.

Just food for thought is all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My TJ has a 3 speed auto in it. When the shaft and mini spool broke I was on a stupid line. However, I wasn't bouncing it or even hard in the gas. Could have just been a bad junkyard spare shaft. Either way, I want to upgrade it. I'm definitely leaning towards the full spool. I'm interested in the 33 spline shaft upgrade. I'll have to look in to it. I don't know much about c-clip eliminators...are the Superior c-clip eliminators the same as the ones that come with the 33 spline axle kits like this one?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Strange-Engineering/Strange-Custom-Axles/744526/10002/-1

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would bet that the eliminators are the same. We allways use a portable Band saw to make a nice clean straight cut on the 8.8 tube. I have allways had good luck with Moser axles in the drag cars. Strange Superior both make great products I would go with the best deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts