Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
doesnt the speedo read off the tail cone of the t-case?

what is the problem with swaping the axle?

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Yes, you need either a Dana 60 from a Van with the VSS, or a 10.25 with a VSS in it as well.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
the spedo get's its info from the vss in the rear axle. The 10.25 keeps the vss in the rear axle.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
XJ_ranger said:
doesnt the speedo read off the tail cone of the t-case?

what is the problem with swaping the axle?
thats only on older trucks, 91' and older IIRC.

If you have a newer truck, the speedo and auto tranny shift points are driven off the tone ring in the diff as well.
so provided you had a stick, you "could" put any rearend in there, and just loose your speedo.

It "might" be possible to also swap a older t-case into it, and somehow get it work off the T-case like older rigs, but I've never seen it done.

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
One option is to also swap in a transmission that has the speed sensor inside the transmission. Only other option is like mentioned, swap out an axle that has a VSS on it already. I'm in the same situation right now with my rear 60 that I've got collecting dust.

I have seen a thread, not sure if it was on here or just linked, but a guy drilled a hole in the top portion of a dana 60 diff cover and mounted a VSS to it that way. He then welded a tone ring onto the carrier. Might be worth checking into....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i am planning on switching to an older zf tranny, but i don't know if that has the speed sensor in it or if it was in the t case. even if it is in the tranny, how can i hook it to my truck? i can't imagine that the conections are the same or that the computer would support it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
thanks for the lessons...

i must have missed that one in the past...

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
tsmall07 said:
well i am planning on switching to an older zf tranny, but i don't know if that has the speed sensor in it or if it was in the t case. even if it is in the tranny, how can i hook it to my truck? i can't imagine that the conections are the same or that the computer would support it.
94 Bronc, ZF tranny was 8.8 now 10.25 speedo works fine, comp works fine. ALL wiring for tranny removed up to main harness :D

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
tsmall07 said:
nice
did you have any issues with the length of the zf? i hear that its 2" longer
and what t case did you use?
64mm (2.5"+-) SHORTER than the E40D. I used my same 1356 as Ford did in the F250/350. I took the E40d tranny crossmember and fabbed a bracket w/ 3 gussets that also raised the back of the Tcase about an inch. Shortend front, leghtened rear DS. Waalaa

If you search here for ZF parts swap list found it for ya http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129687&highlight=swap+parts+list
and also on www.fullsizebronco.com you will see some pics and ALL parts used in teh swap.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
when my buddy did the E4OD to ZF swap in his bronco, he just used all the parts from the F250, and it was a bolt in affair(except driveshafts)
The 5 speed cross member bolted right up to existing holes in the bronco frame.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
tsmall07 said:
i have the mazda 5 speed and i don't know what t case....if someone knows if i can used my same tcase let me know, or if i'll be able to use the same drive shafts?
Tcase yes,

DS will need to be lenghtened rear, shortened front

1 - 20 of 21 Posts