Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im wandering over from the jeep forum. i have an 8.8 in the back of my yj, and i blew the carrier up today. is there anything i can do to prevent this happening again? my only thought on why i did it is because ive nailed my dif cover hard enough to dent it to the ring gear before and it finally let go. is a heavy duty dif cover the best solution? if so, whos running one and whered you get it?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm not sure if Crane makes a cover for the 8.8 but you can try them, if you really want to protect the cover next time you could make yourself a skid plate.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got Blue Torch Fab's Kryptonite cover for my 8.8 and absolutely love it.
It's 1/4" plate for the cover itself and 3/8" for the flange...you'd have to fall off a cliff to dent this cover :p .

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Detroit Locker, Problem solved.

8.8 carriers are a bit lacking in strength, compared to the rest of the axle. I doubt banging the diff cover had anything to do with it (unless you REEAALLY bashed it HARD).

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
yep, 8.8 carriers are great for breaking cross pins, and shitting out the spiders.
4 of them do it in bone stock trucks.. on the highway.

put in a detroit, or weld the spiders up, end of story.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its got a lockright in it. and i dented the cover in a good 3/4 of an inch

·
Registered
17 Posts
the lockright is the problem. a lunch box locker like that is notorious for breaking the carrier, a detroit is deffinetly the way to go. as for welding the diff???????? depends on how good the welder is and it will still strain the carrier and the same thing will happen.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
i remember seeing a diff cover for an 8.8 with bearing cap supports to press on the bearing caps more so you dont blow them off - might look into that...

and running a full detroit

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Was it an Open carrier or a Trac-lok (limited slip) carrier before you put the lockright in it?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You got a couple choices on the cover. You can use a BTF which we have or we also sell a T/A cover. The T/A cover has allen screws built into it that tighten down on the bearing caps. This will help with deflection. The T/A cover is alluminum and is cast pretty beefy, compared to the stock cover. It is NO BTF COVER by any means but will offer better protection and help save your carrier from spitting out the back. I agree with the above on the carrier and luch box locker. Get a detroit from us or another vender and forget about it. The 8.8 is a great choice for a jeep doing a moderate amount of play.

·
Registered
442 Posts
mad_boi said:
I've got Blue Torch Fab's Kryptonite cover for my 8.8 and absolutely love it.
It's 1/4" plate for the cover itself and 3/8" for the flange...you'd have to fall off a cliff to dent this cover :p .
Yup. I have one of these too. Definately stout, and great price too!!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
well i guess mine is safe then. I have the blue torch diff gaurd and a detroit locker. :flipoff2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts