Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's,
I know many people don't like the 8.8 swap and some do.
I personaly like it and have a few Q's about it.
I have an 8.8 with Drums that is now bolted in the Jeep. My brother has an 8.8 with discs that he is not going to be using and has been for sale for a while. (no interest)
I was wondering, I should be able to remove the drum brake system on mine and replace it with the discs from my brothers? just basically, install the backinplates etc right?

Another Q,

the HP D44 from a F150 is a 5.5 bolt patter, If I removed the shafts from a 8.8 from an F150, shorten and respline it to fit my 8.8 and swap a new Rotor with the 5.5 bolt pattern to match the D44 5.5 bolt pattern would work? has anyone done this thought of this? or what about just swaping the complete 8.8 and 44 from an F150? I'm pondering these Ideas. Eventually, I'm probably going 1 Ton but the more I tinker, the more I learn. and having these questions without answers don't help. I would just do it, to see if it works, but don't have the funds for that. hehe.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
1st Q: not sure but it sounds reasonable.

2nd Q: sounds reasonable, as long as the 150 shafts are long enough that you will cut off the splines completely when you shorten them.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The brake stuff showld swap as long as they're both Exploder axles.

You can use f-150 shafts, or you can redrill the flanges on your current shafts. The flange is large enough, although just barely.

BTW, where is this 8.8 for sale located?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 8.8 that's for sale is on the Canadian East coast. New Brunswick. he's looking to get 600$ CAD for it, which is like 2$US with the exchange rate.. haha.. around 350$. 3.55 gears discs and limited slip from a 98

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 8.8 that's for sale is on the Canadian East coast. New Brunswick. he's looking to get 600$ CAD for it, which is like 2$US with the exchange rate.. haha.. around 350$. 3.55 gears discs and limited slip from a 98.

Unless he sells it, I am goig to swap the brake components into mine. and then we will be selling the 8.8 with NEW drums for 300$ CAD.

swapping the shafts are only if I add a HP44 up front. I may just run the rear and front as is until I can find a HP60 front and either 14 or 60 rear. or even better unimog axles.

·
Banned
631 Posts
1Q.. I agree it sounds reasonable

2Q. Buy M.O.R.E. Aluminum wheels spacers that convert your axle to the correct bolt pattern.

Or buy a set of stronger after market shafts like Dutchman. They can make them with the correct bolt pattern. I would think picking up a set of F-150 shafts and getting them resplined plus the cost of shipping would end up being pricey for what you get.

I have been told by many people they cannot be redrillled.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Doc Johnson said:

I have been told by many people they cannot be redrillled.
A number of people seem to get scared by the fact the stud comes within a bit less than 1/8" of the edge. This is not a problem when you use threaded studs, although the larger hole needed for press-in studs may be.

I have had 5x5.5 on mine for years now. Never any issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if there is room to drill them out go for it. i see no problem with it as long as it has 1/8 inch of clearance it will be fine. i also second that you use the screw in type of studs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts