Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an 8.8 for my yj. Getting the explorer with the 4:10 gears and disc brake. The question is does anyone know of a c-clip eliminator for that axle. I know that the caliper will hold it in if it brake but would like a little more insurance that it will not slide out. Also it will make it easier on the trail to remove the broke piece of axle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
superior axles makes a nice c clip eliminator kit that comes with new cromoly axle shafts. i plan on geting it after the first of the year for my 8.8 build

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yukon has the ultimate 8.8 kit. Basically same as superior but a little cheaper

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did the Superior Super 88 kit a couple months ago, nice kit. It works fine with disc brakes, but it does make the axle about 2" wider. I appreciated that because it made things even again with my front Warn Hub Conv Kit for the D30 (which makes the front an 2" wider). I sold my OEM 8.8 axles and pair of 1.25" wheel spacers to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I as well I have the Super 88 kit installed on mine. Great kit, not hard to install. I installed this for two reasons. C clip eliminator and axles with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Getting chromos with a thicker flange was a bonus.

The only worry that I have had, is spare axles. The 8.8 is different length for each side, and the stock axles no longer work. So you have to have a spare set if you want extras to carry.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
The c-clips are huge in an 8.8. I'd save your $$$ and wait to see if you can actually break one

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the info. Done a getnit of research and was not to worried about the shafts right now. Was just checking to see if there was one out there that I have not seen. I know that there are some for the mustang, but they do not recommend it for offroad.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The c-clips are huge in an 8.8. I'd save your $$$ and wait to see if you can actually break one
When I broke my drivers side axle shaft at the splines the c-clip was perfectly fine...I'm on 35s with a stock inline 6 and 4.56s gears and a stock NP231 minus the SYE.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't think there has ever been a worry of breaking the C Clip.

The problem is that with a C Clip, your axles are held in from the carrier, if you break an axles, it could come completely out. Disc brakes can help hold it in a little, but too much side pressure and it would break the caliper bolts and then the axles would come out.

By eliminating the C Clip, you are basically pressing the bearings onto the axles shaft and it bolts on to the outside end of the tubes. So if you break an axles, it can't come out. You can safely limp back with 3 wheel drive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
LOL, this is what I've been doing for the last few years. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The problem is that with a C Clip, your axles are held in from the carrier, if you break an axles, it could come completely out. Disc brakes can help hold it in a little, but too much side pressure and it would break the caliper bolts and then the axles would come out.

By eliminating the C Clip, you are basically pressing the bearings onto the axles shaft and it bolts on to the outside end of the tubes. So if you break an axles, it can't come out. You can safely limp back with 3 wheel drive.
This is what I am trying to prevent I was not worried about the c-clips breaking. We have a lot of hills around here. Also the problem is when the axle breaks it is usally mean that the spline twist. Making it hard to remove the short part left in the carrier. Like I said. A little more protection on the trail.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This is what I am trying to prevent I was not worried about the c-clips breaking. We have a lot of hills around here. Also the problem is when the axle breaks it is usally mean that the spline twist. Making it hard to remove the short part left in the carrier. Like I said. A little more protection on the trail.
I fully understand. UTWeezul I think you who commented on not breaking a c clip.

·
Registered
213 Posts

What he said. The disc brakes will help get you off the trail or out of a hairy spot. Other then that I wouldn't trust them at all.

Also i would weld your tubes to the diff. I have heard stories of them spinning.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What he said. The disc brakes will help get you off the trail or out of a hairy spot. Other then that I wouldn't trust them at all.

Also i would weld your tubes to the diff. I have heard stories of them spinning.
When I broke my 8.8 axle shaft, the caliper bolts held it in to get it to camp. The rubber boots on the caliper bolts were gone. The disc brakes would not be able to hold a shaft in at anything over idle speed. This was with a buddy hooked up with a strap to pull me back to camp so that there wasn't any extra force in the diff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts