Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again. Rust brings things to a halt. Does anyone know of a replacement rear diff cover? I am aware that this will illicit welding, as the "cover" is integrated into the housing. The prior clown, screwed the entire thing up. :mad3:

Here's what I have. It is a 1996 4Runner. The rear housing is all solid, with the exception of the "cover" (or what would typically be the cover). It looks like he was trying to clean the rust, and did a bit too much grinding. Needless to say, I have a grinder hole in the center of the diff "cover". Well, 3 holes :eek:. I found them, while tracking the oil leak. The idiot tried to seal them with blackjack (roofing tar dispensed from a caulking tube) :barf:. Temporarily, I have the leak stopped, by patching it with quiksteel (2 part epoxy putty). But, this is only a semi-permanent solution. I have found several other spots where he boogered the cover. Keep in mind, this is the same kind of idiot that used a convoluted plastic hose (such as one used on a pool filtration unit, or a sump pump) as a fuel filler neck :laughing:, rather than just replacing the filler neck.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Back in the day longfield used to make a weld-on ring to adapt a Dana 30 diff cover.

These days I haven't seen another product like that on the market. I'd recommend a well-sealed weld on diff cover (like a trail gear) or a new axle housing.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
flat plate, cut/fill as needed.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
flat plate, cut/fill as needed.
That will work, but the pipe cap is easier. I used to cut them in half and use them for diff protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any idea as to the capacity with the pipe cap? The bad spots are located as follows:

3 holes along the side of the gear bulge, near fill plug
1 about fill plug height
1 about 1" below fill plug
1 halfway between the second, and the bottom of the bulge
1 hole at bottom, right at the seam, directly below fill plug, where the cover meets the housing.

Not my axle, but areas affected are noted.

So, weld on diff guards/armor will not work. Interested to know about the possibility of using like a D30 cover. How well would that line up dimensionally, in comparison to the shape of the Toyota 8" profile?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Maybe a D44 or AMC 20 cover with the flange cut off....or just put a new housing in it, they can't be that expensive or hard to find

·
Registered
358 Posts
The pipe cap is great for Diff armor, but it sits out away from the axle housing. Seems like OP is asking about patching holes in the diff housing itself...

You might try something like this:
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Small_Diff_Armor/i_0_0_4633/_120234-1-KIT.aspx

Not mine, random pic stolen from google images...

I believe it welds directly to the housing in about the area you showed. If not, then plate n weld to cover the holes, then add a pipe cap or other "diff armor" to protect it more.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
The pipe cap is great for Diff armor, but it sits out away from the axle housing.
You ever heard of a cut-off wheel and a grinder? Make it any size you want it!! Fabrication is the name of the rock crawling game, not buy it and bolt/weld it on!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't mean _how far_ it sat out, just that it wasn't directly against the housing to plug his holes. We're talking about regular diff covers right?

or are you talking about replacing the whole section of housing with a cap?
If so, I agree.. but swapping in a new housing is probably easier.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't mean _how far_ it sat out, just that it wasn't directly against the housing to plug his holes. We're talking about regular diff covers right?

or are you talking about replacing the whole section of housing with a cap?
If so, I agree.. but swapping in a new housing is probably easier.
He is clearly looking to replace the who cap. However I think replacing the housing is very easy and probably what I would do. Who knows what this dude did elsewhere. PO may have been overzealous with the grinder at the spring perches too, then one day, the u bolts pull the spring into the axle. 8" pipe cap or replacement housing is my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
no matter what it needs reinforcing, can't really go wrong!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
He is clearly looking to replace the who cap. However I think replacing the housing is very easy and probably what I would do. Who knows what this dude did elsewhere. PO may have been overzealous with the grinder at the spring perches too, then one day, the u bolts pull the spring into the axle. 8" pipe cap or replacement housing is my suggestion.
No u bolts on a 1996

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If it is hard to get a rear axle housing where you are then go with a pipe cap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts