Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read that the dodge Dana 44's are a waste of time for various reasons. Can't find much on the net about them (maybe for a reason).

Any Dodge Dana 44s actually worth having? Yard has a Dodge 200 (mid 70s maybe), with an 8 lug Dana 44 that has locking hubs. This thing worth snagging?
________
Live sex

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
unless you're going to run low HP and small tires, don't waste your cash. all of the 8 lug 44s are just 1/2 inners with 3/4 ton outers (for the most part). you can polish them, but they're still a turd.

i've seen them for free in the FS section of the board, if that tells you anything.

i have a stupid 10b under the front of my permabuild and wanted to do an 8lug swap but eventually just decided to skip the middleground and just wait for a 60.

good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah

Problem is I am PD, so a high pinion requires more work.

I've been trying to find info about the 44 HP housing + D50 carrier/gears + D60 LockRite + D60 Shafts etc. etc.

Sounded interesting
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
more info about what, how and where you wheel would make this question a lot easier than "no, Get a 60."

Iffin youre runnin a 4 popper with 35-38s and around 150:1 on varied trails, youll probably be fine.
If youre running a 6-8Cyl rig, with big sticky tires and BTG-ing your thingie over big falls. Probably not.

44 fronts are holding up my way to the 37 inch range locked up behind 4s,6s, and 8s without much issue.
I have an untested spooled Dodge 44 in the front of mine that I expect to have no issues with (80:1 sammy on 33s)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maxles is what they were called from the research I've done. I'm using a D44 front and rear in my truck for the time being and looked into the possibility of doing a 35 spline d44 like you're doing. I decided to leave the d44 well enough alone and build 609 axles for the front and rear if/when I get tired of repairing the d44s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.