Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
if anyone finds out post up here.. im currious too

prob easier to make my own..

apparently they made new hubs too so whole thing will be $$$ for sure..

·
Registered
575 Posts
Interesting..... Looking to do some new stuff to yeller...... hair is on fire....... Thinking of the posibilities...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll see if I can get ahold of Randy today and get a price for you guys...

KP

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hrm. You'd need new shafts as well, or redrill your old FF shafts in the rear, since the retainer bolt pattern will change...

Those are hot, though.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
What does he do about bearings? The rockwell 8 bolt drive flange is about the same pattern as the 8lug bolt pattern...I don't see how you can use stock bearings???

CJ

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am sure they use a smaller bearing set to allow the hub to pass through...

I though for a long time about doing what he has done to get disc on the wheel with the hubs in and basically came to the same conclusion as what is pictured in my head... (The only difference is that overson stepped up and did it :beer: )

But if you think about it do you really need the enormous bearings and 1/2" thick hub walls on most of our apps (not too many here with 16,000+ GVW) although some dish out the abuse like it...

I think the set up is great if you can afford it but as always the 400$ axles I got would take another 8 - 12 grand to get them all setup (two fronts) - for that much I would just fabricate a housing - look in casting knuckles and perhaps the third as well....

I have about 700$ into my two front u-jointed axles - the hubs are flipped and they have a pinion brake using a caddy caliper with a manual e-brake on a vented 11" disc and the bottoms are shaved...

The whole point of the rockwells is they do not set your bankcard ablaze!

Matt

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do you remember how much you turned your hubs down when you flipped them? What master cylinder are you gonna use for your pinion brakes?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I like the idea.

good points

1 wheel brakes
2 eight lug wheels

Costly points

1 dana 60 bearing hub/rotor
2 How does the drive flange work? splines?
3 smaller 60 wheel bearings (I love my big rockwell wheel bearings)

Dan

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok just got off the phone with Randy at OEM earlier today.
Turns out he is coming out with a new version of the "super 8" hubs for the rockwell. They are coming in the next month or 2 and are supposedly stronger and cheaper than his current set.
I am building up my rockwell project and need to have it darn near completion for november.

i currently have no rims or tires or brakes. (just the 38" dryrots on military wheels to roll it on)

SOOO...

I am weighing my options here.... Please help me and future folks decide the good bad and ugly of these hubs. Based on my research i found that Super 8's......

Good:
1. $550 gets you a full setup per wheel. (hub, bearings, brakes etc).
2. stronger than stock rockwell hubs for light trucks
3. Most parts now commonly available at local autoparts store.
4. 13" rotor easy to buy and replace.
5. wilwood 4 piston caliper included in package
6. will fit a 16"+ wheel with 8-lug 1 ton pattern (15" with significant backspacing)

Bad:
1. $2200 for all 4 corners
2. not designed for continuous heavy load support (not intended for use on a real deuce fuel truck or anything constantly hauling 2.5tons)
3. Weaker stock-OEM parts
4. 13" rotor, as opposed to the 16" you can have by doing it yourself.
5. wilwood pads are pricey and not available at all stores
6. not many 20" wheels in 8lug pattern, making cheap military surplus tires less cheap. 16" and 17" rims not very common size for 40"+ tires. 16.5" rims cant have beadlockers. 15" rims will fit but only with limited backspacing.

Depends on how you look at it:
1. all done for you and tested and ready to bolt on.
2. less guess work and trial and error
3. less backyard fab work
4. less wasted money on failed attempts or opps's

I am torn between the Super8 idea and sticking with the "cheap" rockwell setup.
i cant go pinion brakes, because of street legality.
so i was going to go with the 16" ford bus rotors. but these cost $150 per rotor. and still need to be machined and tweaked to fit the rockwell. so you figure by the time you do all that, you will probably have a good $250-300 into each rotor. and then if you wear them out, or warp them, then it is all that time and money all over again. At least the Super8, you buy it once, and then all future work is just a matter of a simple bolt on brake job.

But then there is the issue of rims and tires...
I was hoping to go with some super cheap military surplus tires, i could throw them on to a set of oem military wheels untill i could save up for a set of nice beadlocks.
But if i go with 15-17" rims then that blows the cheap military tire idea. and now i will be forced to run out and buy new rims and tires right away, as i dont currently own any 8-lug wheels, and most military tires dont come in a wheel size that small.
I was once told that a 16.5" rim cant have beadlocks due to the basic design. I know 15" come in many styles and flavors and are well liked on the trails, but 15" would be really tight on space and probably require pretty heavy backspacing to fit over these brakes. and then the other sizes 16" 17" etc. just dont seem to be very popular.. not many choices for rims or tires in those sizes.
If i went with the Super8, i would probably be forced to go with a 15" double beadlock and Irok 49"s which would cost me an arm, a leg, and my first born.

The super 8 is a superb idea for anyone who upgraded from a 60 to a rockwell, as they probably already have all this stuff. but for me building up from scratch, and trying to pinch pennys (but not shoot myself in the foot down the road) I am not sure if this is the best choice for me. Yes, i would probably be happier down the road... but right up front, OUCH

please debate this with me. I am sure many of you have insight into this matter.

Dan Dibble said:
I like the idea.

good points

1 wheel brakes
2 eight lug wheels

Costly points

1 dana 60 bearing hub/rotor
2 How does the drive flange work? splines?
3 smaller 60 wheel bearings (I love my big rockwell wheel bearings)

Dan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Those cant be dana hubs or bearings, because the kid does not come with a spindle, and the rockwell spindle is much larger than the dana.

I bet that hub is quite a bit lighter than the stocker .

wanderingwillys said:
pinion brake using a caddy caliper with a manual e-brake on a vented 11" disc

Matt
Do you have a pic of this set-up?

·
Registered
178 Posts
sorry i am late guys. ok, heres the rundown. 250-300 will get you the hub, bearings, studs, and whatever else you need to throw the big nasty hub away. yes you will need two rear double splined shafts to make this work. where else can you get chromo rears as cheap and strong as i build them for. 165 apiece. i think i can do the whole conversion for 500-550 per corner complete with brakes. this project is a month behind right now. had to depend on to many outside sources. the hub is a custom 8 bolt. not some refabbed pile. bearings are bigger than one ton but a little smaller than the 2 1/2. i changed it up to run a monster puck style driver. not the 8 bolt flange that my website shows. they are now a casted 8620 alloy, they are also case hardened and the bearing race id's are ground. on a stock configed axel, wms to wms is 75 inches. you cannot flip these hubs around. they are a one way only. i am building and extreme duty lockout for them as we speak. the front congiuration runs your stock shafts. everything is bolt up, no welding of anything. you can put 1, 2, 3, calipers per hub. doesnt matter. hub weighs 25 pounds compared to the rockwell hub at48 pounds. it uses big tapered roller bearings and a new style lip seal. it is engineered to withstand my two inch shafts. i am not worried about strength issues at all on a comp buggy or even a fullsize truck. i am not going to build a product that is cheap in quality and strength. randy o--oem

·
Registered
178 Posts
jeremy and sam at custom differentials did an install on a set about a month ago, brakes and all. if you want the true skinny on this install give them a call. they are great guys to work with.

·
Registered
178 Posts
yes the first version was a billet piece and i got 500 a corner for just the hub. took way to long and way to much material waste. most of the price was labor. plus the drive flange took more to build than the puck that i have now. i was gonna post all this stuff up when i wrapped up this project and had all the fancy pictures, but my good buddy kyle must have gotten excited and thought he would help me out. thanks for your help kyle, now if you have any extra time, why dont you come up to my shop and start pushing buttons and changing parts so we can get this project off the ground. ro--oem

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NOCTURNL said:
yes the first version was a billet piece and i got 500 a corner for just the hub. took way to long and way to much material waste. most of the price was labor. plus the drive flange took more to build than the puck that i have now. i was gonna post all this stuff up when i wrapped up this project and had all the fancy pictures, but my good buddy kyle must have gotten excited and thought he would help me out. thanks for your help kyle, now if you have any extra time, why dont you come up to my shop and start pushing buttons and changing parts so we can get this project off the ground. ro--oem
Sorry bro :D I'll be by the shop next time I'm in MN :D

Dude, this was too cool not to share, you and I both know it. It's like having the cool secret, I had to say SOMETHING :laughing:

I'll keep my fool mouth shut for a while ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
fool mouth, come on, i am glad you started this thread. it aint no problem that someone wants to talk about my stuff. i appreciate all the help and good words from you over the past year. so if there is anything you need from me let me know. just next time tell me about the post so i dont get here too late. its hard keeping up with things the way it is. take care, ro--oem

·
Registered
657 Posts
JEEPRZ said:
Those cant be dana hubs or bearings, because the kid does not come with a spindle, and the rockwell spindle is much larger than the dana.

I bet that hub is quite a bit lighter than the stocker .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingwillys
pinion brake using a caddy caliper with a manual e-brake on a vented 11" disc

Matt

Do you have a pic of this set-up?
Sorry for the long delay...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts