Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a set of customed wheels built, the goal is to run either 35x12.5R15 MTRs or 36x12.5R15 TSL/SX's, I am thinking getting wheels to be 8" wide, any reason I should get the 10" wide instead.

Btw, overhere in the west it's mostly rocky and the truck will be driven on the road often, so which one would you prefer the MTRs or TSL/SX?

Thanks.

/td

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
8" rims are the way to go with skinny tires like those. If you get the 10s, you will be more prone to loosing the beads when aired down.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
because of your road use, MTR. I do love my SX's on the trails tho, and haven't found anywheres where they don't work well...

oh, and 8"

10.5" section width x .66 = 6.93" rounded to 7"
12.5" section width x .66 = 8.25" rounded to 8"
14.5" section width x .66 = 9.57" rounded to 10"

some people use the section width less 2" rule, but I've yet to have the .66 rule fail for rim width recommendations...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You might want to include Oregon in that Swamper region.

How custom are the wheels? 9" would be ideal. A friend of mine has 15x9s on his 60 and they are perfect for a 12.50" tire.

I'd go 8" otherwise and I think I'd be leaning towards the MTRs.

Which rig is if for?

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
10 "

use 10 " and spend the dough for some 36x14.5 RADIAL Ground Hawgs. You can't hurt them and traction is great. These tires are always overlooked cause of price . I found them to be very flexible when aired down and no other tire has the beefy sidewall.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Re: 10 "

peesalot said:
use 10 " and spend the dough for some 36x14.5 RADIAL Ground Hawgs. You can't hurt them and traction is great. These tires are always overlooked cause of price . I found them to be very flexible when aired down and no other tire has the beefy sidewall.
YOu have got to be kidding me?

You really like Ground Hawgs, AND you live in California?

Holy Shit, I thought they sold 99% of these tires to ******** in Mississippi!

Me being one of them... :emb2: ...I had a set of the non-Radials on a mud truck years ago!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'd rather wheel P235 AT's than Hawgs, anyday....

Nolen, you were TOO KIND with your comments...and at least 22% of those tires were sold in Wisconsin too ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ginericfj80 said:
I'd go 8" otherwise and I think I'd be leaning towards the MTRs.

Which rig is if for?
It's for my fj40. Wheels ordered! Thanks again for all the help.

/td

1 - 11 of 11 Posts