Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look possible to squeeze it in, anyone done it - any info on this swap? I'll be running a D60 rear/44 front

·
Granite Guru
3,288 Posts
I don't think you need it unless you have a wimpy leg. I'm using a stock single reservoir master cylinder with chevy disc brakes front and rear and it works great.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Ben W said:
I don't think you need it unless you have a wimpy leg. I'm using a stock single reservoir master cylinder with chevy disc brakes front and rear and it works great.
I agree with Ben. In Rock Scout (65 Scout 80) we used a Stock Scout II MC with no booster. After wheeling with Ben and having to two foot the brake to get it to stop, I would say stay with the stock MC. If you really wanted to boost it you could try and inline booster between the MC and the block that bias front to rear.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting.. I'd think at the minimun you'd want to go to a dual but hey.. if it works..

BTW this will be a highway driven DD on 37's

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben W said:
IMO for manual brakes, single res master cylinders have better feel than tandem circuit. If you want redundancy so you don't lose all brakes if you blow a line, look at one of the racing setups where they use two independant single circuit MCs. Like this

Check out this thread for a good read on choosing an MC http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265164&highlight=tandem

I had a vette MC on my jeep with 4wheel disk before and it worked great, I might try that setup again.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
80's Mustang I was told works. I used SII but I made the inner fender fit around it... :smokin:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I thought someone here or on the BB did it, or had hydroboost, or some such. I remember they notched the wheel well to make it fit.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Thats an aftermarket unit like a TCI (Total Cost Involved) but its by mike somebody. Its close to the fenderwell but its got about a 1/4" of clearence and the hood fits fine. I used a stock brake pedal assembly and used a flat 1/4" steel plate to connect the two. It works Great

EDIT: Also, the wedge backing plate was moved up one bolt hole and re drilled. and some extra fab work was needed on the brake assembly to get it all to fit but its in there.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Ben W said:
I know the vette MC works, but I don't see any advantage over the stock MC.
I have herd the SII MC will work (with mod) for 4xdiscs but I was unsuccessful. Vette MC was the best alternative

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Go to the boneyard and check out some vans, specfiaclly dodge vans. They are mounted 90 degrees to the firewall and would solve the Scout mounting issues. For bonus points find out what chevy did for their diesel vans, Might be a 90 degree hydroboost setup. That said don't bother with a booster, you don't need one with the long Scout pedal and a well thought out system. It's nice to not have to worry about brakes should you stall or need to get dragged off a trail non-running.

Travis

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
BLK Scout 800 said:
80's Mustang I was told works. I used SII but I made the inner fender fit around it... :smokin:
I've got a early 70s Mustang MC, which had 4 wheel disc brakes.
It is a double res., one being larger.

Works well, & no need for a proportioning valve.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
I'm with the other 800 owners. Snoopy NEVER had power brakes and NEVER needed it. I was running D60/D44 combo with 4-wheel disc brakes, and my wheels were modified Hummers w/ 38.5" rubber (together they weigh about 120# per wheel) and I could lock those babies up at a moments notice.

The big benifets is that if your engine stalls, the brakes work the same as normal.

The MC I used was from a 68 Corvette w/ manual brakes (they came with discs f&R) ~ cost only about $45! (no core)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Overkiller said:
Go to the boneyard and check out some vans, specfiaclly dodge vans. They are mounted 90 degrees to the firewall and would solve the Scout mounting issues. For bonus points find out what chevy did for their diesel vans, Might be a 90 degree hydroboost setup. That said don't bother with a booster, you don't need one with the long Scout pedal and a well thought out system. It's nice to not have to worry about brakes should you stall or need to get dragged off a trail non-running.

Travis
The dodge 90 degree booster is a no go as the steering column is in the way. Look at Buckshot33's pic. The column passes through the hole to the right of the booster.

As for any chevy options I can't say?

I am planning hydro-boost on mine...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buckshot33 said:

Thats an aftermarket unit like a TCI (Total Cost Involved) but its by mike somebody. Its close to the fenderwell but its got about a 1/4" of clearence and the hood fits fine. I used a stock brake pedal assembly and used a flat 1/4" steel plate to connect the two. It works Great

EDIT: Also, the wedge backing plate was moved up one bolt hole and re drilled. and some extra fab work was needed on the brake assembly to get it all to fit but its in there.
Buckshot33-do you have a part# on the booster/master?I like that setup! Thanks...

·
Registered
952 Posts
yeah I'll get a p/n and take a pic of the pedal/plunger assembly under the dash too because it needed to be "augmented"

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've built about 6 hydros for these setups. Have 6 happy customers, they all had to make their own lines though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts