Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the Rubicon for the first time 2 years ago, and plan to go again this year. The last time, the Scout II I drove was 62" wide, did pretty well for the first time. This year the Scout II is 80" wide. From what I remember from the last trip, I was able to sqeeze through many obstacles, this year I think I may be going over them instead. My question is, does a wider vehicle make the trail easier or harder in your opinions?

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
It is a wash, I like a little narrower for must stuf but is sure is nice to have the stability. I do see alot of guys who go real wide with huge tires so they can drive over everything with no skill what so ever.. alot also tear up the trail doing this, not good... My build right now I am running stock width toyota with IFS :D and keeping it low as possible.. it make the trails way more fun cause you have to work, hahaha

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I use full size chevy axle in front and a full size ford sterling 10.25 out back. Use H2 wheels w/ 5.5" back spacing to better tuck the tires in a bit. From sidewall to sidewall, i'm right at 80". I find there are a number of places on the trail that are just that wide--any more narrow and u have to go up and over. In other words, many obstacles seem well suited for 80" and the jeep just barely squeeks thru. Any wider and i'd be climbing the wall. The widey way is not necessarily any easier, since ya gotta constantly be watching both front tires (not that we don;t already) but wider axles want to grab every side obstacle and climb. 80" is a challenge, but any wider and i'd pass.

good luck, u should be fine-- don't forget ur respirators, its really smokey all over the northern sierra lately. pray for wind, but that may make the fires worse.

mb

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I'm 93" wide, I need it cause aparently I have no skills and I like to tear up the trail:shaking: Whatever...

I've never had a problem being that wide, yea I have to go over more things instead of going between. Oh well, not a big deal. Plus the stability is great. there's my.02

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
my rig is 84" wide. Nothing too tight that makes it an issue on the Rubicon. I liked my setup better when it was 76ish wide though....

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I'm 93" wide, I need it cause aparently I have no skills and I like to tear up the trail:shaking:
Testy, testy... he said he'd pass, not that you needed to. It's all good...

My little 35-inch tires squeeze more nimble between things on my narrow width, but that's a pretty good thing, since I occasionally flop. Maybe I need to be wider. :laughing: I know I'm damn envious of full-width stability.

In any case, Rubicon and Fordyce both are fine for full-width, IMHO... and I love to watch the different sizes run the different lines. I think it would be a real loss if everyone had the same wheel-base, tire offset, and overall width... It'd be like driving on rails.

...which is probably how some people would like us to enjoy our out-of-doors, like they do in Yosemite, from behind the windows in a bus. :shaking:

Thank God that Rubicon is not that! :grinpimp:

Randii

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I have to admit the reason I went to a wider stance rig, was because I hated feeling like I was going to flop everytime I came to an off-camber situation :crybaby2:. After this next trip I might see the advantages of stock width axles, but I'm sure I will feel less tippy.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Not but hurt just bringing light to the fact that you were profiling, and profiling is WRONG...!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Not but hurt just bringing light to the fact that you were profiling, and profiling is WRONG...!:flipoff2:
If would have been profiling I would have said all, But with your defencive responce maybe you are feeling guilty of something :flipoff2:

But the fact is there are tons of people who destory our trails narrow rigs and Wide.. there are alot of people who talk the talk of protecting them but ALOT are just talk here on the internet, and it is true there are lots of people who build Monster rigs that will drive straight over Almost anything to cover up for their lack of skill, then there is the guy who brings his little sammy and does just as much damage as anyone..

So Notice to everyone, NO one said 42's on U was a unskilled driver, Hope your butt Feels better

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't mean to cause a narrow vs wide "damage to the trail" debate. Just wanted to hear opinions on whether one was easier then the other. The damage debate never entered my mind since I thought most here have the common goal of protecting the trail to ensure it stays open.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
If would have been profiling I would have said all, But with your defencive responce maybe you are feeling guilty of something :flipoff2:

But the fact is there are tons of people who destory our trails narrow rigs and Wide.. there are alot of people who talk the talk of protecting them but ALOT are just talk here on the internet, and it is true there are lots of people who build Monster rigs that will drive straight over Almost anything to cover up for their lack of skill, then there is the guy who brings his little sammy and does just as much damage as anyone..

So Notice to everyone, NO one said 42's on U was a unskilled driver, Hope your butt Feels better
Thanks:D Can I have a cookie now too?-------------------------

I was just yankin' your chain bud.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
:bounce::bounce:Chocolate chip:bounce2::bounce2:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Back to the topic; I'm 80" wide on 37's and didn't notice any problems except for the tight right turn around the rock on the slabs.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
... didn't notice any problems except for the tight right turn around the rock on the slabs.

Oh the tight right turn. Kind of vague? :flipoff2:

Im 90" and have no problem. I guess I am one of those nonskilled drivers considering the 47's under my rig. The big tires dont make the trail anyeasier, just different. Some lines are easier some are harder...

The only reason I went so big myself is because you never see the crowd cheering on a IFS Toyota on 33's....But when the smoke starts to role off the 47's and rockwells, or when you side step the clutch, stick in third and leap up Soup Bowl, people tend to freak out in a good way. :D

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
funny, you say that, About 6-7 years ago while hanging out at the box there were a few rather wild rigs for the time fighting the box, not making it, breaking, just having a real hard time, once they got yanked out of the way some guy comes along in his cj5 with 31's, I shit you not 31's, And with out ever spinnig a tire he spanked the box and the crowd went apeshit.. It was one of my most favorite moments on the rubicon.. I think seabass44 was there along with many others from pirate, ah good times

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Oh the tight right turn. Kind of vague? :flipoff2:

Im 90" and have no problem. I guess I am one of those nonskilled drivers considering the 47's under my rig. The big tires dont make the trail anyeasier, just different. Some lines are easier some are harder...

The only reason I went so big myself is because you never see the crowd cheering on a IFS Toyota on 33's....But when the smoke starts to role off the 47's and rockwells, or when you side step the clutch, stick in third and leap up Soup Bowl, people tend to freak out in a good way. :D
so you built your rig for the crowd attention:confused:

funny, you say that, About 6-7 years ago while hanging out at the box there were a few rather wild rigs for the time fighting the box, not making it, breaking, just having a real hard time, once they got yanked out of the way some guy comes along in his cj5 with 31's, I shit you not 31's, And with out ever spinnig a tire he spanked the box and the crowd went apeshit.. It was one of my most favorite moments on the rubicon.. I think seabass44 was there along with many others from pirate, ah good times
yup, was sweet:smokin:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Oh I know it happens who can forget the little sammy at the first Carnage on the Con. The Box is special like that. No matter what you have some times you make it and some times you dont, no matter what you have. I have driven all types of rigs tall, wide, low, big tires, little tires, big motors, 44bangers, crappy gearing, drive through the brakes gearing and my wide rig with big tires works for me where I wheel. I mean Ive only been to the Con, Fordyce, the Hammers, Moab, countless unnamed canyons in NV, some deep deep Sierra snow, and Sand Mtn, just to name a few. No its not the best rig but it works. Back to skill, though I think it takes just as much skill to drive a big rig as it does to drive lil one. The examples of the CJ and Sammy are examples of good drivers though, guys that know their rig and drive them often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts