Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several questions about this but I have a specific question that I haven't come across. First ill explain what's goin on and what I've done so far.

Noticed Friday when I left work my volt gauge was reading under 12v. First thing i checked was if the belt slung, of course It was still there. When I got home I checked the battery with my volt meter and was getting 11.75 volts truck running or not. So I took te alternator to the parts store and had them check it, they said it was bad but I didn't see the results personally, never the less I figured a new alternator couldn't hurt so I bought the new one. Had them check it for me there and I did ask to see the results, it passed. Put it in and still no charge. So I bought a new voltage regulator, still no charge. At that point I started checking for power and checking the grounds. What I discovered was I had power all the way down to the back of the alternator. I know that one of those wires should be hot all the time, one when key is in on position, and one when truck is running. Now here's my question; all 3 wires had power all the time regardless of key positioning or if the motor was running or not....Could this cause the alternator not to charge? Furthermore, what could be the cause of the three being hot all the time? Thanks for any and all help in advance. Btw, I checked all the grounds I could find and they all seemed fine. Also, just to be sure, I took a ground cable and went straight from the alternator to the negative terminal of the battery. Still same result, not charging.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
charge lamp relay probably. pull the cap off of it (charge lamp relay), it will have broken solder joints. the computers do the same thing. if you have somebody tap on the relay while you are watching voltage, you might see it start working.

Another thing I do when replacing the alternator is replace the voltage regulator at the same time. sometimes one will take out the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found one of my problems, after more research today I found out toyota made two different alternators back then...one for a 5 wire volt reg as one for a six wire volt reg. turns out I have the 5 wire and they sold me the six wire. So, I returned it and have the 5 wire on order. Hopefully this fixes my charging issue. Ill post the results. Still kinda curious why I'm getting all 3 hot no matter what...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
OP, ditch the old shit and put the post 85' alternator on it. It's much better.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
OP, ditch the old shit and put the post 85' alternator on it. It's much better.
It doesn't simply bolt in. You have to change the alternator mount as well. But a good swap. As long as it isn't a 93-95. Then they are less likely to pop up used, and are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to post the results. It was all because I had the wrong alternator. Everything is good👍. So to anyone else searching this problem make sure you match the correct alternator to what voltage regulator you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts