Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took over my uncle truck after he passed away, It sat sense 99 in a garage and it didint have a carb on it when i went to get it.

So it sat for 2 more years in my lot. Than these pass 2 days i tried getting it to fire when i got another carb and cleaned the carb in pinesol.

But all it does is just make a clanking noise pretty much sounds like what a stuck starter will do or a weak battery. You can see the engine trying to move very little bit.

Does that mean its seized?

I tried turning the crank pulley with a socket and i couldn't, But than i read up more that you suppose to do it with out the spark plugs? So will try that tomorrow.

I have other trucks that sat longer than it and was outside and they turn over fine and start up. So i don't get why this one is seized.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update, I say its probably is seized up... It looks like it maybe was ran or it ran low of oil and they parked it. Check the oil and it wasn't reading anything than found out it had a broken dip stick which seems like its from another truck cause it doesn't even fit right..

So i took one out of my other truck and put it in and pulled it out and yep no oil just couple of really think spots on the end of it...

So im wondering is it even worth even trying to get this engine unseized now? I mean im not going to get rid of the truck cause its in great shape, But pretty much wait till i get get the money to put another engine in it.

I also tried taking all the plugs out and trying to move the engine with a socket still cant move it...

I herd puting some jb blaster down spark plug holes and leave it sit will usely unfreeze it?

·
blatant asshole
11,831 Posts
its a 305, fuck it.

go buy a crate 350 from summit and a new carb and distributor/plugs/wires. and stuff it in.

·
Registered
134 Posts
even if you unstick that engine and it runs its gona smoke like hell and run like shit. just go get another 305. i picked a complete running one up on Craigslist for $60 and 2 used tires i scavenged from work. nobody wants em.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
its a 305, fuck it.
That's exactly what I was thinking....when I saw the title even! :)

Was also thinking you did a nice bit of prep work BEFORE trying to fire it up. Skipping right over the detailed once over of the motor, CHECKING oil, pulling plugs and adding a few squirts of something like MMO...Etc..... :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
It sat sense 99 in a garage and it didint have a carb on it when i went to get it. So i don't get why this one is seized.

Thanks.
It obviously had mech issues when parked....removing the carb before storage isn't exactly a routine of prepping a motor for storage.

Any mice in said garage?......they love to nest down in those now open passages...a mouse condo if you will....and they can do a lot of damage in short time.... :mad3:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
have a update lol..

After hammering at the crank pulley and puting pb blaster down the spark plug holes. 10mins later after tons of clanking at the starter. The engine finally turns

Before i got it moving. I went under the truck getting to the starter to bang on it. And when looking under the motor i saw this....

Is this a crack???

And here's the video of it cranking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAniA6x6ZVc&feature=youtu.be

If this is a crack can it be repaired? Or is the push rod damage too?

Edit. i pop in the spark plugs and put some gas in the carb. and the dam thing wants to start. But i ony tried it once cause i dont want to do any more damage if this engine is still saveable.

Also it turns over much easier now than the video and the squeaking is gone. But yea want to see if that's a crack or not before i try to really get it going.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
If this is a crack can it be repaired? Or is the push rod damage too?

Edit. i pop in the spark plugs and put some gas in the carb. and the dam thing wants to start. But i ony tried it once cause i dont want to do any more damage if this engine is still saveable.

Also it turns over much easier now than the video and the squeaking is gone. But yea want to see if that's a crack or not before i try to really get it going.
Put an exhaust on there and run it....you'll better be able to hear what the hell is going on while doing so.

And what does a crack have to do with push rod damage? Not even in the same location.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well lets just say im not a engine expert lol And its very hard to see 4 in the morning with out a jack yea im a weird one working out side that time but i had a itch lol.

But ain't the connecting rods around that area?

But im known so far for getting them fix and run. But when it comes to inside of the engine im kinda lost lol Cause im pretty much new working on vehicles and leaning pretty much by myself.

This couple months i got our 1979 bronco running and moving. And 3 weeks ago i got our 1991 gmc sonoma 4.3 running too. You can see on my youtube if you want.

Will see if i can get it to start fully later on. And for the exhaust i don't have one for it . I got it out of the garage just like it is now. And i don't want to buy one unless i know the engine is good.

Will it hurt running the engine like that? I know it will be hard to hear stuff tho hmm... But i pretty sure i would hear the knocking still.

And for the crack. If it is one is it repairable? or a quick fix i can do? I will get a better look later today when i have it jacked up and its daylight lol.

Most likely the engine will get replace in the summer. But would be nice to have this one running so i can move it and stuff when i want too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You basically have an engine that has been opened up and sitting for 15 years, and a cracked block, about the only thing you can salvage is the connecting rods if a bearing was not spun before it was parked. Pull the 305 and look for an old 350 on craigslist, or as Total Newb said, get a crate 350 from Summit - around $1,500 delivered and it has a warrantee!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm might try the block sealer and jb weld.

Like i said before i i will be getting another engine in the future for it.

I just like to get this engine running so i could move it out of the way sometimes. I could care less how bad it runs. Than if it blows than it blows

This truck probably wont be on the road for awhile cause of funds. But like to preserve everything so it doesn't rust out. Because were its siting now it will..

If i had the 1500$ i would love to get the crate engine for it cause its worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
If you stopped throwing good money after bad you'd have $1500.......

.....take one of the other vehicles you got running and use it to push this out of the way.

You don't happen to live in Vt do you...... :)

·
Read Only
VerticalScope Sucks
22,735 Posts
Jesus.

There is no point fucking around with it like you're doing. Waste of time. Toss that engine. Hit CL for something else. Hell, even a 4.3 or a straight 6 would be perfectly legitimate compared with that dog turd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't even put money into it yet lol Well except the 25$ junk yard carb.

And again were its at because the asshole that put it in the spot its impossible for a vehicle to push it out still. And it also has no brakes at the moment.

I guess one more winter were its siting now ain't going to hurt it.... Just need to fully cover it up. Going to be too cold here to work on anything these up coming days anyways.

So a 4.3 or a straight 6 will swap right in? I would prefer a 350 instead but if i can get a 4.3 for super cheap which i saw a couple months ago i wouldn't mind that.

Before anything im going to need to buy a engine lift stand
So a swap is impossible at the moment.

And nope. I live in Pittsburgh which i hate :/ lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
The block sealer does work, I have had to use it once. Bigger problem if all you want to do is move it is the cylinder walls - from what you described above to get it to rotate the cylinder walls have rust. If you run it just to move it, then park it over the winter the rings will rust to the cylinder walls again! I have a 305HO that has that same problem, will be replacing the 305 with a 327 in the spring!.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts