Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my charge light (AND sensor light) on my 81 California smog pickup with a/c have been coming on intermittently. I cleaned, lubed (the bearings), and replaced the brushes and it still does the same thing. I unplugged the alternator connector at the alternator and crimped the female connectors (down inside the alt plug) with some small needle nose pliers and it seemed to be fixed...for a couple of hours...now it's back but not quite as often.

So I monitored the charge volts for a couple days with a DVM (digital volt meter) plugged into the cigarette lighter...it ranged between about 11.6 and 13.8 volts (leaning towards the high side) the whole time regardless of when the two lights came on. Don't know about the amps but my battery stays charged (new exide copy of Optima redtop) and it's an occasional driver.
Also replaced the IC regulator on left innner fender...no change. My yota manual mentions a charge light relay that looks like it's under passenger side dash, but I couldn't find it and it's like $100 from Toyota. Anybody have same problem or ideas?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
it might be a burnt wire in the harness- I had this problem and never found it, till I switched to a chevy alternator

·
Registered
589 Posts
Originally posted by Nate C:
<STRONG>Lately my charge light (AND sensor light) on my 81 California smog pickup with a/c have been coming on intermittently. ...

So I monitored the charge volts for a couple days with a DVM (digital volt meter) plugged into the cigarette lighter...it ranged between about 11.6 and 13.8 volts (leaning towards the high side) the whole time ....</STRONG>
What SENSOR light came on with it?

On my '83 they have this goofy set-up where the Charge and Brake idiot lights circuits are interconnected and effect each other. If the voltage regulator goes bad, for example, they both light up. If I remember correctly, the brake fluid level sensor might also light both up if the brake fluid was low. You might want to check your fluid level.

Also, 13.8V seems kinda low, and 11.6 is really low unless you have all your lights, AC, etc on all at once loading down the alternator.

Broderick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts