Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my dad's 81 Ramcharger. It started out on 35's and dana 44/ford 8.8. Then moved up to D60's front and rear with hydro steering. He chopped the back half off and made an extended cab pickup out of it with a flatbed. Now I've talked him into building a truggy out of it. I'll continue to post pics if there is any interest in seeing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anymore pics? Looks like ya'll have alot ahead of ya'll!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No more pics as of yet, this is all that we have accomplished. Nothing to it. Should be done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a 1" grade 8 bolt and nut about 4" from the rear bushing. Not sure how well it will hold up long term but for simplicity and budget wise it works great. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
NineInches said:
NO!!! I just wasnt going to waste my time posting pictures if noone was interested in seeing them.
Post them whether anyone comments on them or not. It gives people ideas and motivation for how they want to do things.

FWIW, I'm working on a RC myself. I am sticking with leaves for the time being though due to cost constraints. I want to get this thing on the trail for as cheap as I can without cutting too many corners. It will eventually turn into a truggy though as I'm sure it won't last too long being full size on the trails that it will likely see.

As far as that rear link setup you are building using a bolt, I personally would think that it wouldn't have been much cheaper to go that route than if you would have just got some rod ends and did a 4 link. I'm basing this entirely on a materials standpoint though, as it looks like you have just about as much tube invested in it as you would have otherwise plus the bushings. :beer: to you for trying something different though. Keep us updated on how well the setup holds together.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
You do know that using good quality joints and a properly designed link setup is going to cost you a lot less than when that axle walks under the truck and takes out the driveshaft/t-case/tranny, and anything else that gets in it's way right?

·
Registered
644 Posts
pmurf1 said:
You do know that using good quality joints and a properly designed link setup is going to cost you a lot less than when that axle walks under the truck and takes out the driveshaft/t-case/tranny, and anything else that gets in it's way right?
x2
Are you going to use some kind of traction bar to keep the axle from pivoting forward at the bottom?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Have you moved the axle through its range of cycle? Im curious to how those bushings act under articulation, or maybe if they would bind and not allow much movement. Never seen a wishbone with bushings at every end. Would be a cheap and effect way to do it if it doesnt bind to badly and that single bolt through the truss at the axle would withhold the forces applied.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts