Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have set a record for slowest build up on this project. Now that I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel I thought I'd start a thread.

I picked up this truck about 2 years ago. Bought it for $1000 sight unseen with no way to get it from California to Nebraska. Luckily my dad volunteered to go out and drive it back. Turns out almost every fluid leaked, but it made it back.

It's an '81 longbed. I spent the next 6 months trying to get all the paperwork ironed out, getting the title transfered and getting the truck licensed. Really, it took 6 months. Turns out the guy I bought it from bought it at a lein sale and decided to sell the truck when it failed emissions, so he had never titled it in his name. It required a ton of phone calls and correspondence with the California DMV, but I eventually got it worked out.

Plans included a 5" lift, lockers, 5.29's, crossover and 36's to start.

Bunch more to come, but work is interrupting.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I went on to rebuild the front axle, all new seals and bearings. Put in 30 spline longs, FROR hub and knuckle studs, 5.29's and lock rights in the front and the back. Also replaced the front and rear oil seals in the engine and put in a new clutch.

Rebuilding the front axle was probably the best thing I've done to the truck so far. Most of the rattles and slop in the front end are gone, it really made a big difference.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Looking good. Nice to seen a old school body style built up with quality parts! :)

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I like the color:smokin:
Thanks, I'd occasionally see your truck on the board during this project and it'd always made we want to finish up that much faster.

Looking good. Nice to seen a old school body style built up with quality parts! :)
Thanks for the compliment. All the parts I've gotten from you have been awesome. Shipping is also really fast compared to any of the vendors in California.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is how I mounted the front shocks. There 14" 5125's. I used Ford towers. I'm not sure I'm 100% satisfied with them. I may switch them out for 12" shocks in the future. For now I'm going to run them.

I also picked up a shiny new toolbox

This thing goes out on it's first run 7/4-7/6. I have a few small things to finish up yet, bump stops and sliders. I should be ready in plenty of time.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looks good man. It's great to see more 1st gen trucks being built up.

I hear you on the DMV issues too. I didn't have an ownership for mine, had to get an affidavid from a lawyer and swear an oath to get my ownership, what a PITA!

1 - 20 of 298 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.