Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..i've done tons of searching and can't find what I need. I have an 81 4WD base model and want to install a SR5 gauge cluster. The only issue I'm really having is that I need to know where to run the tach wire to the back of the cluster. I found alot about the 84+ trucks, and some about the 82 and 83 years, but the 82-83 clusters are different than the 79-81, so those really don't help. Has anyone done this swap? I believe that the oil pressure sending unit does not need to be swapped out because both clusters (SR5 and base) have idiot lights. is there anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Good question, bro. I just bought this.

The plug in the back of the 82-83 is not round - it's rectangle. I hear you can pull the pins out of it and re wire into the correct plug so you could use a 82-83 sr5 cluster.

I'll sell you my sunpro gauge, it hooks up to this wire for the tach to work.

I don't need the gauge anymore now that i have my sr5 cluster.
It's got a red wire too, for power, that goes to the fuse marked Gauges, and a white wire that goes to the headlights to turn the back light on if the lights are on

this is the 82-83

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok...maybe i wasn't clear. I have an SR5 cluster (1980 model) to replace my base model one in my 1981, I just need to know where to plug the tach wire into the back of the SR5 cluster. Or is a seperate wire even needed? I located the tach wire on the ignitor. A pic would be great.
Thanks

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
i posted a pic of where the tach wire is on the ignitor.

Ok. Do you have the cluster installed?
If so, take it out of the dash but keep it plugged in.

from the ignitor tach wire, run a wire thru the firewall. On the back of your cluster, there are 3 screws holding on to the tach in the center. Each of them have a different section of circuit board leading from them to the big plug. See how the blue color is lighter and darker in between each line? thats where the circuit board carries the data.

Idle your truck, and hold the wire running from your ignitor against each wire that goes into the plug at the location of the tach. watch your tach gauge until it moves. you will find your tach wire location that way. Don't hold the wire from the ignitor on the wires from the plug for too long or u might fry something. just tap it until u see the gauge move and show accurate readings.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't have the cluster installed yet. are you talking about the 3 screws in a horizontal line to the lower left of the middle circle shaped connection?
thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You know, I lucked out when I built my yota, I have an 1980 and I swapped an 81 SR5 cluster into it fully expecting to have to wire the tac, but I lucked out and it worked fine. I either had an SR5 that had a normal cluster put in it or it is already wired for it.

Just try installing a 80 or 81 SR5 cluster into it, and see what happens.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
997 Posts
so erick, the pics you posted of the little black wire coming out of your coil..that is an 82? basic model right..because im kind of doing the same thing just wireing a random tach from autozone,...so if i just wire the tach to that little black wire on my basic model 82 i should be set? sorry to kinda hyjack:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts