Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Build up of my First Gen (81).

This will be my first Toyota build. Never messed with 1-tons before but im going to give it a shot. This is going to be a great learning experience for me and hopefully this rig turns out alright.
$500 bucks later:

tranny was blown so i dragged it from Havasu AZ to 29 palms CA.

Front:
-Dana 60, Chevy
-16" FOA 2.5 remote reservoir coilovers
-3-link kit from Ruff-Stuff.

Rear:
-14 Bolt, Chevy Van
-6" All-Pro Leafs
-16" FOA 2.5 remote reservoir shocks
-Disk Brake swap.

Drivetrain:
-94 chevy 4.3 CPI, sm465 and NP205
my goal here is to be able to smash around in the dunes and the desert, but mainly drag my junk through some rocks. ill be runnin 37 mtrs. ill go bigger later im sure. This will be street/SMOG Legal.

First thing to do, leaf hangers and brackets

stay tuned, its not going to be the fastest build...
-Shomsky

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
strength and width. i guess i got sick of stock axles and how much they can limit you when your always wanting to go bigger etc...

Ordered the 14 bolt axle swap kit from the great people at Ruff Stuff. Im in the proccess of gathering all the brake parts i need from autozone. calipers, disks, hardware etc... so by this weekend ill have all the suspension mocked up for the rear except shocks. Ill be running some giant FOA reservoirs

ive had some thoughts of a bed box storage area thing that the spare will go on top of while still incorperating the stock tailgate, trimmed down of course.

stay tuned. pics coming this weekend

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i got the hubs all cleaned out. put a new seal in, greased the bearings. pressed on the new rotors and mounted them up. i thought the calpiers and rotors wouldnt clear the rim but they do just barely so im good. only thing im missing is the caliper brackets, perches, ubolts, plates, etc.. from Ruff Stuff which i wont get till monday and wont be able to even put them on for another month... goin to the field for a couple weeks... awesome.
heres some pics:
its pretty high but it will come down an inch or two

Dammit! i just realized the caliper brackets go over the spindle... now i get to take it all off! i guess i got excited about puting it all together.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
im going to assume that you are going to put shorter bolts on your beadlock rings or maybe ybe just turn them around, running them like that, no good

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im going to assume that you are going to put shorter bolts on your beadlock rings or maybe ybe just turn them around, running them like that, no good
i wont be able to run them backwards because of the brakes but ill figure something out. maybe some kind of rock ring with 24 holes... but im not sure

any comments are welcome.
thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
ok so im done for the most part with the rear suspension and mounts. got it all lined up. brakes mounted up etc.. all i need to do is run some hoops and weld the perches whenever i get the angle right with the output etc...

gonna be runnin some 16" FOA 2.5 remote reservoirs. which is a little overkill but i think with the massive amount of unsprung weight it will be good.

and im getting pretty pissed off trying to find a STOCK front kingpin 60.
all these douchebags with stock axles selling them for $1500!!!

so if anybody has a front kingpin they are trying to get rid of for a decent price please contact me.

some pics of the little progress ive made:

props to Ruff Stuff for the awesome beastly parts and the support for the military
-Shomsky

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think your shackle angle is fucked.
well considering there is ZERO weight on the back. i think itll be alright with a full gas tank, water, extra fuel, a full spare, spare parts and whatever else im carrying on the trail with me... plus the front is at stock height. so 99% of all the weight is on the front... and brand new leaves.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts