Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Got some little things done. Time is scarce. Money is scarcerer.

I got this pretty neat tool that uses wire to clamp hose of any size and it comes out really clean! Wish I had it earlier for all the exhaust wrap and other various hoses etc.

Those red standoff/line isolators were about $1. they were on the clearance section of anplumbing.com so I got a few of them. looks clean and helped me standoff the fuel lines from rubbing on the sharp edges of the fuel tank, as well as isolating the pass. side rear brake line so its not just flopping around.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I've been working on some things here and there. Finally had some time to cut out the carbon panel I made and clear coat it. Incredibly unnecessary, but it was more of an experiment than anything. Chopped fiber comes out looking pretty cool I think. Might have to consider something like this for the top of the dash...

Also I whipped up this Christmas present for someone thats into bikes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Still working on things here and there.

Made some battery boxes, one for an optima, one for a full throttle. Both are group 34. They'll go behind the cab flanking the gas tank.

Mounted a small Rigid light bar on the front I got for fairly cheap.

Up next is to mount the batteries and battery boxes, and run some 1/0 wire to the engine bay and some 4 gauge into the cab to the amps. Then work on getting the dash panel bent. I'm going to need to find a brake at school that can do some 20 ga. stainless, 54" wide.

I was setting up the gears for the rear 14 bolt. Never done it before, Just followed the 14 bolt gear install write up on here. Seemed to go OK besides everything being huge and heavy and all the bolts needing a ton of torque. Also the passenger side axle shaft needs to be trimmed down about an 1/8" so hopefully I can find a lathe at school to do it nicely or Ill have to find another method. Had to grind down the inside of the diff (ribs that stiffen the carrier bearing journal right by where the cap bolts go in) a little to clear the ARB carrier.

Please feel free to critique the gear mesh pattern. The pics below show the current pattern with .007" backlash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The pattern looks good, excellent - nicely done. Having set up quite a few third members I know what a PIA they can be.
I really appreciate your talents sir - makes me strive harder on my '83. Keep up the good work and be encouraged. I've subscribed.
BadgerBob

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
The pattern looks good, excellent - nicely done. Having set up quite a few third members I know what a PIA they can be.
I really appreciate your talents sir - makes me strive harder on my '83. Keep up the good work and be encouraged. I've subscribed.
BadgerBob
Why thank you sir

When I went to put the passenger side axle shaft in it was contacting the inside of the ARB, so it needed to be trimmed down about 1/8". I could have just used a cut off wheel or something like that (didnt want to destroy a bandsaw blade, if it would even cut it). My initial idea was to use a manual lathe at school but couldnt find a lathe with a big enough through spindle. My friend wanted to get some more experience on a fancy cnc lathe so we chucked it up on a Hass TL, he did some quick programming and boom it was done. Horrendously unnecessary, but it was a cool learning experience and pretty easy.

Im currently working on getting all the wiring sorted (when I get a chance between school stuff).

Can anyone recommend a good brand of ARB style toggle switches that wont break the bank? I will be making a switch panel here real soon... and have almost no idea what I'm doing.

Some shots of the batteries fully mounted and the axle shaft being trimmed/faced on the TL:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
all this awesome work and you leave this in there?:confused:

View attachment 2961426
I wanted to replace the entire cross member but...
It sounds kind of dumb but since there is such little original Toyota left of the entire truck I wanted to leave some kind of old rusty piece in tact to "display" the original frame. I'm not concerned about the strength of the cross member given the other tube work and such that surrounds that area.

I mean how can it be a first gen Toyota build without some kind of nasty rust issue going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is one of the coolest live builds I've ever read.Nicely written,and fantastic work!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
This is one of the coolest live builds I've ever read.Nicely written,and fantastic work!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Much appreciated

Bad ass build man. I like the tunnel. I need to do something like that with mine.

Thanks!

My advice is to make sure you have a good amount of room around the trans/transfer-case/bell housing etc. With enough space to take the trans out and down if you need to. Mine is probably a little too tight in areas.
And if you want to put in a sub similar to where mine is placed, or just want more room for storage or an ammo box or something, just cut out that lump in the back wall and make the entire back wall flush.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Ive been putting in some work on the truck lately. 2020 has been an interesting year so far to say the least. School has moved completely online, the VA failed to pay me for over 2 months, my girl and I decided to end our relationship of over 8 years, internships falling through because of this virus BS. Fun times, but one thing has remained constant, cranking away on the truck.

The truck is getting closer and closer every day.

Did a ton of wiring. Had a friend help me with the harness wiring. I used the Speedway Motors 22 circuit wiring kit and that has worked out nicely so far.

Got the engine running for the first time since I rebuilt it about 8 years ago. It runs really well. It started ok but would idle really rough. Took a few days of head scratching and some research but it ended up being a stuck EGR valve. Cleaned the EGR valve up, timed it, and it runs like a top now (also does anybody know the origin of that phrase?).

Battery setup:
Dual battery, 1 starter, 1 house, a "smart" isolator between them with the stock alternator running to the starter battery. 2/0 wire running from both batteries to the front distribution blocks, 2 gauge connecting the batteries.
House battery runs some accesories like the winch, stereo amps and other random things. I made the distribution blocks from some stainless bar and 3/8" stainless hardware.

Here are some pictures of the battery setup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Here are some components I designed in Solidworks and then fabricated. The water jet at school has been fun to use, as well as some of the 3D printers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Some pictures of the rear bed/deck. The wood is Honduran mahogany I sanded and refinished. I had a bunch of this mahogany from a job site I demo'd a long time ago. This house had mahogany EVERYTHING; base, trim, counters, shelving, cabinetry, etc.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts