Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
82 Shortbed Build

Where to start. Just a warning this is going to be an extremely slow build. Budget is depleted and just got back from Iraq so spending time with the family.

Base Truck:
1982 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Shortbed

I guess we can start off with the plans for the truck.

Own:
4" All Pro springs
36x13.5x17 Iroks Bias
17x9 Cragar soft 8's with 2" BS
Trail Gear Histeer Kit
TG Dual Case Kit
5.29's
ARB for the front
Spool for the rear
ARB Compressor Kit
Full Gussets for the front
Diff Armor
New Spring Hangars all the way around
Rock Sliders
All Pro Internal Cage Kit
etc....

Here is what I started with in Oct of 2006

While on leave I decided that I would throw my suspension on. Seemed like a good idea at the time but proved to be a pain in the ass and had to enlist the help of my brothers to finish the job.

This is after completing the rear lift. No pics of that process.. Nothing spectacular anyways

Well now that I'm home the build has progressed immensly! Just seems like my motivation has tripled since I dragged this beast back up to my house. Decided that I needed to get my wheels and tires mounted and throw them on the truck to see how it will be sitting. Glad I got my hands on a set of 2 inch lift blocks to level it out untill the front end settles a little bit.

Here I am standing next to it to kind of give it a little bit if size. I'm 510"

I mocked up a half door from a set of spare doors I had.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FRONT END

This weekend was pretty eventful. After mocking everything up and checking tire clearance. I TORE THE WHOLE FRONT END APART! Figured now was as good of a time as any to rip into the front and get to working on it.

Here is the grimey axle I started with. Typical of a 26 year old rig.

After a couple hours of disassembly and cleaning we started cutting all of the excess brackets off

Ended the day on a good note with this as the final product.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 2 of the front end build involve welding on my truss, creaper gussets and diff guard. The last project of the day was shaving off the drain plug on the axle.

Shaving the drain plug was pretty easy. All we did was grind the weld surrounding the plug and take a hammer and chisel to the remaining lip. After a few hits the plug fell off.

This is the plug as it came off.

Final product of day two!

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
do not ever ever ever stack cider blocks on edge like that ever , that is plain stupid :shaking: they are not designed to hold weight like that

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
do not ever ever ever stack cider blocks on edge like that ever , that is plain stupid :shaking: they are not designed to hold weight like that

i was gonna post this almost word for word 'til i saw this. cinder blocks are only strong when reinforced and grouted w/concrete. other than that, nice build. and thank you for your service.:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
yeah been told that a hundred times...

they held them for a week
oooooooooooo then it's as ok as those welds:barf:
dude just told you blocks are not designed to hold weight that way, if you don't think your life is worth anything, we don't either:laughing:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oooooooooooo then it's as ok as those welds:barf:
dude just told you blocks are not designed to hold weight that way, if you don't think your life is worth anything, we don't either:laughing:

wow.. im impressed. thats the first sign of someone sticking up for another person that i think ive ever heard in this forum...

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
i know it wasnt the smartest choice.. u should see how its held up now!

2 tires stacked up with 4x4's on top of them

thanks
sounds better then the cinders, plenty of dead people from cinders:(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
best idea i could come up with at the time was the tires. dont have a big garage or and jackstands that are big enough

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
best idea i could come up with at the time was the tires. dont have a big garage or and jackstands that are big enough
I bought 4 jackstands, for $215 free shipping, 2,500ls each and go to aprox 50" tall, no problem getting a rig with 44" up in the air
ridget brand, they are slip and screw type too:smokin:

·
Registered
652 Posts
you'll use jackstands for an empty axle but will use cinder blocks for the truck?! hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
wtf do you need jackstands for webwanderer :flipoff2: dont you have a race truck to rewire?
shit smoke everywhere or I would be installing my TRD SC:smokin::flipoff2:
jackstands are sweet, they are holding the yard down:laughing:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts