Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup..... I know about Billavista write up.....

Got a call last night , A couple of jeepn buddys were stuck down in a swamp.
So, being I live for this shit. I had to go see if I could help out.
Got there and Tads CJ 7 on 39.5s was up to the frame.. couldnt see the tires.
the other guy not so bad..

ended up chaining a jeep to a tree and hooking his cable to the rear of my jeep so I could drive down the hill in to the swamp. I got as close as i could and pulled my winch rope to the stuck-E. I would pull him about 10 - 20 feet,then free spool a little line so I could be winched back up the hill a little. did this a few times. On the last pull I went to free spool and winch wouldn't stop :shaking:
I went out and pulled the control off and It kept running.... Before I could get the hood open and cut the power to the winch, All the rope had spooed out and started to spool in from the top of the drum. When it pulled all the slack out and came under load the heat from the bind the rope was in on top of the spool and down to the fairlead it poped my rope.... The winch shut down before I could get the power off..... smoke was coming from the solenoid pack....

My Q is could this be a bad solenoid that caused the winch not to shut off ??
I hate to think I burned the motor up... anybody had this prob before?

I'll test the solenoids in a day or so and check the motor out....

Sorry for the spelling and the grammer....

George

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid welded shut. Mine just over heated and cooked the leads to the shoes and the springs that hold the shoes. I had it repaired at a DC elec shop and was told the parts to fix were ford starter parts.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Good bet that it is a solenoid problem. Make sure you replace both power in solenoids and that there are no wires hooked to the "I" terminals on any of the solenoids or laying where they could short. It is very rare to have both solenoids weld closed at the same time, so I would check the wiring very closely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just wanted to say thanks for the help george and i'm sorry about the winch rope and the winch let me know if i can help you out fixing it. i guess it's better breaking there than to break while you're hanging from it in tellico at least

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Same thing happened on mine one day, had to rip the power wire off the winch to get it to stop. Bad solinoid

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Don't 2 solenoids have to fail in order for that to happen?

If one gets stuck closed the other one should still open up when you let off the switch.

I was up at the local Warn service place buying all new solenoids for mine a couple weeks ago and the guy said he'd never even heard of 2 solenoids failing like that at the same time. He also said they repair 40-60 winches a month.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
weedwacker said:
Sounds like the solenoid welded shut. Mine just over heated and cooked the leads to the shoes and the springs that hold the shoes. I had it repaired at a DC elec shop and was told the parts to fix were ford starter parts.
I thought the Ford solenoids were only like 15% duty cycle vs. the warn being 100% ???

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
MuddMachine said:
I thought the Ford solenoids were only like 15% duty cycle vs. the warn being 100% ???
I have heard this too... BLACKJACK?

-Scott

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'll add:
The reason I was buying 4 new solenoids was because the previous owner had put on some random ones.

The side posts of these random ones had begun melting into the plastic body of the solenoid. They also didn't ground through their cases like the Warn ones.

The guy who I bought the new ones from laughed and said that was typical for using a starter/improper solenoid.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MuddMachine said:
Good to know..... Looks like I'll buy the warns..

thanks guys.....

So, Tad when ya coming over to put the trans in my waggy??????

Pay backs a bitch... :flipoff2:

George

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
korda said:

If one gets stuck closed the other one should still open up when you let off the switch.

I was up at the local Warn service place buying all new solenoids for mine a couple weeks ago and the guy said he'd never even heard of 2 solenoids failing like that at the same time. He also said they repair 40-60 winches a month.
Only 1 tested bad when I pulled it apart. Happened on Hippie gultch a couple years ago.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few shots of said night...........LMAO

had to do it Tad................

Tads new seal-a-meal Boggers

Damn I hate mud........ but my Krawler did petty good...

george

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
korda said:

No, only one has to fail for that to happen. (Assuming they are double throw solenoids) You should have been able to reverse the control to open up the other one though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts