Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did alot of searching on this and most of the info I got was about an IFS SaS . But I am wondering about the factory spring hangars. I seen 2 rigs last year limping out of the con with drivers side factory spring hangars ripped off the frame. Now I know this is mainly caused by there Push/Pull steering. I am starting my Crossover/Highsteer and will have it done soon, but woudl it be a good idea to beef up the setup I have? I was thinking about ginding everything smooth and doing kind of an SaS on it with 2x3 1/4" Box tube and some huvy duty hangers? I also have 2" drop hangers in the rear. Would this improve my pinion angle also? Will this also improve flex? I mean I have heard getting the front springs more level eye to eye improves this.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes, you can expect problems in this area but not just the hanger but the entire frame in this area. When upgrading the hangers, look into reinforcing the entire corner area as well. Hysteer and tons of flex seem to compound the isse.

also, spend some time looking at the rigs that are driving out as opposed to only those limping out. ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
there should be a pic on my web site of the front hanger I did on my 83. Make sure you brace the back of it if you do it though. The web site is old but it is there. The tubing is 2x3 1/4.

·
Registered
367 Posts
yep, this happened to my '81 too. I rebuilt both hangers with 1/4" square tubing with reinforcement inbetween. Lucky for me, steve from power tank had an onboard welder and I had thrown in some angle .

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
4bangr said:
yep, this happened to my '81 too. I rebuilt both hangers with 1/4" square tubing with reinforcement inbetween. Lucky for me, steve from power tank had an onboard welder and I had thrown in some angle .
Power Tank Steve can only weld flats so here is how 4bangr redemied that!!!!:D :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yup, I keep chasing cracks on the '81 driver's side hanger. I think my problem was compounded by running to short of shackle for a while. Has anyone reinforced the stock hangers or does everyone just build new ones?

Travis

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
my drop hanger eventually cracked the frame all around right behind it, i had to weld gusseting further back under the frame on each side...there are good examples of this on erik beebs page or jay kopy's...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
When I first got the 4Runner I had a friend of mine run some welds around the hangers and crossmember. Cheap insurance. But then I'm not as big and not running the nasty stuff some of you are.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not only are the factory hangers weak, but they are about two inches too far back. The crossmember is also weak around the back side where it attaches to the frame. I have welded this area on almost every 79-83 that has been in my shop. The best thing I have found to do is add a 2x6 drop hanger, then put a piece of angle on top of it, and up against the crossmember on the front. Into this, add plating on both sides of the fram, and redrill for your crossover. This will allow you to ditch the stock body and bumper mount, and make more room for moving your steering box forward.

·
Registered
600 Posts
exactly what i was looking for....if you could give me the dimensions of that and then a relative dimension of the actuall spring mount (the hole would be good.) that would be perfect!! for my SAS plans...been searching the board for this with fear of posting for a month now lol...dial up sucks:flipoff2:
thanks
chad

·
Registered
964 Posts
bearitbilt said:
The best thing I have found to do is add a 2x6 drop hanger, then put a piece of angle on top of it, and up against the crossmember on the front. Into this, add plating on both sides of the fram, and redrill for your crossover. This will allow you to ditch the stock body and bumper mount, and make more room for moving your steering box forward.
Not sure I follow. 2x6 tubing, with the 6" leg up and down, 2" front to back? Got any pics? :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
budr said:

Not sure I follow. 2x6 tubing, with the 6" leg up and down, 2" front to back? Got any pics? :)
Same here, got pics??

Howya doin Bud?:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.