Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been a long time since I visited here. Job has kept me busy.

Long story short, I moved a while back from Finland temporarily to the USA, more accurately Charlotte NC for a 1yr stint.

I got my hands on a decent CJ7, but the 2.5L 4cyl engine is toast. I knew it when buying it and did not spend too much. The car is all in all in good shape except the engine.

I am (have been) more of a Land rover guy, so all and any help is appreciated!

What would be your recommendations with this? I think I could spend 2-3k on the build, but I do not have very good space or a lot of tools. So the easier the better!

Done some (read a lot of) googling, but more confusing than helpful :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Find a 4.0/4.2 with a 4sp already attached and bolt it in. Or go the small block chevy route and take your pick on the trans. Or pick your engine and collect the parts to stick a T18 in there. If you want a slushbox you can get a TH350 or TH400 to fit, the TH400 was a factory option as was the T18. Biggest differences between the CJ drivelines and the Wagoneer was the input shaft length and bellhousing depth on the transmissions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The simplest would be to put a Jeep drivetrain in it. A straight 6 with a 4 or 5 speed would be simplest and probably cheapest. A small block Chevy is common but it isn't as cheap as putting something that bolts in. I did a sbc in mine and I already had the motor, trans and transfer and it would have been much easier to just drop a l6 in. As for wagoneer swaps IDK enough to say if it a near straight swap or if it is the same level of work as a sbc.

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
You're here for a year, you don't need this on jack stands. Find a 2.5L for a few hundred or less and drive it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're here for a year, you don't need this on jack stands. Find a 2.5L for a few hundred or less and drive it.
That's what I would do too unless it is something you are deadset on not keeping. K.I.S.S. this problem... Keep It Stupid Simple. Don't create more work, trust me cause I'm guilty of it. The V8 conversion is more work than you think unless you just pay someone but at that point you could pick what you want and have it done but that isn't in your budget. If you are going to just sell it when you leave the 2.5 replaced would get you back having fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks a ton for the answers. I am currently back in civilization with internet.

My plan would be to take the Jeep with me back to Finland, as company helps with moving expenses.

- The one thing I do not have easily available is welding equipment, so would want to minimize welding motor mounts etc.

Would the 4.0/4.2 conversion require a lot of mount/bracket welding?

Would the Jeep I6 mount up to the same mounts as the I4, or are they bolt on type?

Are there (even a little) beefed up I4 engines available for a decent price range?

As you can see I am still open for suggestions and I will be starting to work on the Jeep in early September... so I have time to ponder and prepare.

One thing I would like to have is fuel injection, if this does not cause a huge amount of problems. I swapped a Rover 3.5L carb V8 to a 3.9L EFI a while back and could not have been happier.

-Joel

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know anything about the l6 conversions. The 4.0 with its own fuel injection is a great setup. I had a 91 xj with a 4.0 and a 5speed and it was fantastic. I have a 350 Chevy with this. There are fuel injected 2.5 engine in the yjs and xjs. So simple thing would be a rebuilt 2.5 and a newer harness for the injection. V8 conversion kits are simple.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Are there (even a little) beefed up I4 engines available for a decent price range?
-Joel
You could look into a Ford 2.0 or 2.3L. These are very well built little engines that will support lots of mods. I had a hodgepodge 2.3 turbo with T-bird turbocoupe block, SVO head and early fox body Mustang turbo carb intake set-up in an '83 Ranger. Nasty little beast of a rig. EFI would have been the cherry on top but this was long before the internet and EFI was in its infancy and there was NO aftermarket support let alone standalone systems back then.
I understand that the Merkur XR4Ti was much more popular on your side of the pond and had essentially the same engine for spares once you get it back home!

Personally I'd keep an eye on Craigslists around your area and find someone pulling an entire drivetrain from a CJ or FSJ. An hour for a local welder to make some engine mounts and call it done (if you can't find an adapter kit).
As others have advised...with your time frame I'd grab whatever came along with a passenger drop TC and make it work so I could get out and play.

I love Jeeps so please take this in the spirit its offered.
Ship the Jeep back now. Pickup a Samurai or pretty much any running 4x4 you can afford and enjoy it for the next year. Sell it when you leave. You can spend the year gathering bits n pieces for your Jeep build back home.

·
Registered
396 Posts
TJ 4.0 $400

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/pts/d/jeep-wrangler-cylinder-engine/6163629714.html

Complete 2.5L $500 (waxhaw)
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/d/jeep-engine-for-sale/6234550985.html

4.2 with trans out of an 89 YJ $800obo- I'd go this route but it's a bit of a trip- and do negotiate the price.
https://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/d/inline-cyl-motor-and/6222062989.html

And this guy has a bunch of cool stuff if you've got the coin:

https://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/d/hd-parts-and-accessories/6201236885.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would go VW 1.9 ALH TDI mated to the NSG-370 6 speed and a 242 T-case.......$.02

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4.2 with transmission is tempting. I have done engine swaps before, but in my own garage with all the tools/spareparts/junk etc. now I am doing it without a lot, in a garage that is just empty in a house the company selected for us.

But again, my big concern is the amount of welding and rework especially for engine mounts etc. this is something I do not have.

But lets say, I get the engine and tranny in place... I will have to then redo the radiator, fuel lines, prop shafts, electrics etc also? How difficult is lining the engine up? are there ready mounts available?

-Joel

·
Registered
396 Posts
CJ's had 4.2L motors also, you should be able to find some used mounts for cheap. Find out what transmission it is, you might be able to get away with using your cross member and transfer case. I think you will. Same drivetrain YJ driveshafts should also get you close, but you'd know once you measure it out.

I'm thinking little to no fab involved with this swap, maybe drilling some holes and possibly reworking some shafts.

Check out Novak Conversions Home for research info on compatability and what your options are.

·
P.B.A.
4,369 Posts
Wtf 14 responses and no one said it!

5.3 4l60 Dana 300. You could easily get that done for 3k.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I might have found a donor 98 cherokee nearby with a 4.0 I6. is only 800$ and ensures I get everything I need with the engine.
Should I upgrade the transmission too with the engine? The possible donor has an automatic. I was thinking about keeping it stick and it has currently the 5 step stickbox. Will they match? -Probably not...

is the ECU wiring a nightmare and is there any good instructions for it?

-Joel

·
P.B.A.
4,369 Posts
I might have found a donor 98 cherokee nearby with a 4.0 I6. is only 800$ and ensures I get everything I need with the engine.
Should I upgrade the transmission too with the engine? The possible donor has an automatic. I was thinking about keeping it stick and it has currently the 5 step stickbox. Will they match? -Probably not...

is the ECU wiring a nightmare and is there any good instructions for it?

-Joel
Jeep forum has a good 4.0 swap thread. There's some info on here if you search. I have a 4.0 nv4500 in my cj there's 10 different ways to swap all that in.

The wiring harness is basically a stand alone engine harness from the factory. Search "5 wires to fire" to see what ones you specifically need to get it running. On my cj I put an in tank pump in the tank (I've had problems with frame rail mounted pumps) that was the hardest part of the swap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First of all thanks all for your help!

OK, been removing the old engine. Will be soon installing the 4.0 etc.

One question I have is what reasonable price radiator and electric fan do you recommend? I guess the original radiator is not sufficient.

-Joel

·
Registered
155 Posts

One question I have is what reasonable price radiator and electric fan do you recommend? I guess the original radiator is not sufficient.

-Joel
Can you just use a XJ radiator and a Taurus e-fan?

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,759 Posts

-Joel
How about a v8 radiator?

Edit: A friend of mine runs a 4.2 with a 4.0 head with the stock CJ7 4.2 radiator with no problems.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts