Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
This thing has been torn down way longer than it was supposed to be, lots my crossmember bushings for the tranny so the angle looks funny currently. I hope i'm understanding what you mean by leveling motor and trans out.

Everything besides shock hoops and tabs is mostly just tacked on, have yet to do flex test to make sure nothing binds. Reinforcements and gussets will come after flex test.

Not looking to get to crazy pushing motor back, trying to avoid a bunch of bodywork to the cab.

Thanks for the insight though! I've been watching your build for a long while.
Will you have this at Moses in September?

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Will you have this at Moses in September?
It will be in Moses... in my garage in a similar state as shown above!

I bought a house this spring, kind of taken priority of my finances. However I did start back up on boxing the frame yesterday. Would like to see the frame done in the next couple weeks. No AC in the shop and working nights gives me limited time to work on it productively.

I've said this for 3 years now, but maybe next year she will be done!

I'll post my flex test pics soon-ish.

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Flex test from a couple months ago, lots of welding left. Lots of frame boxing left.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Making some progress once again.

Frame boxing is finished. Ground it all down since these photos, rewelded a few areas I wasn't happy with. Also bought ORD Engine mounts, high clearance crossmember as well as new body mounts and body lift.

Front axle truss and mounts are all welded, short of shock tabs as I'm not quite satisfied with shock placement yet. Going to try different shock tabs on the hoops.

Going 4 link rear, awaiting parts. Rear axle and frame is ready I think. Thinking 16 2.5s.

Really hoping I can finish this thing by Memorial weekend of 2018.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Made some good progress over my weekend. Got my 4 link set up, mocked it up with PVC pipe and gorilla tape before I cut my pipe and put some good tacks on to hold her together. Flex test without shocks didn't show any obvious binding.

Awaiting a call back or email from Filthy Motorsports to order my shocks. Have some bracing to do on the front link frame brackets before I am ready to put the body back on. Unsure if I should run my wiring and other essential lines before body goes on.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some more progress. Body is back on with new body mounts and 1" body lift. Had to redo front shock hoops and mounts due to the original position conflicting with the steering column, I think I came out ahead redoing them.

Over a month wait for the rear Kings, got a lot of cab work to sort out while I wait.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Making some progress here and there.

Picked up a 205 and twin stick set up. Tore down the 205, checked all bearings and replaced all the seals. Did the twin stick conversion while I was at it, that was far simpler than I expected. Painted everything while I had the 205 torn down as well. Hoping I put in all my seals correctly, ORD likes to send a bunch of seals that don't appear to have a place to go? Wanting to buy some 1410 yokes from ORD before I install it to the rest of the powerplant.

Been working on some rust repair around the main part of the cab. Stripped all the paint with aircraft stripper and a wire wheel. Neutralized all the remaining surface rust and pitting with metal prep. To patch the small rust holes, I used POR15 with the fiberglass product that gets nearly hard as at rock once the POR15 dries. Eventually the whole cab and bed will get a bedliner, hopefully around the time I get to building a cage.

Rear kings came in last week, been at the mercy of waiting for my buddy to get back from KOH to bend me some pipe in the needed dimensions/angles. The shock hoop pictured was there to give me an idea roughly what I was working with. Not overly happy with my big ass holes I made for the shock hoops, but wasn't confident in getting all my holes correct in the 1st attempt. Hoping a nice weld job and some bedliner will hide that mess when it's all refitted around the shocks and hoops. Hoping to have shocks mounted by end of this coming weekend.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You mentioned you reinforced your front frame could I ask where you stopped? Did you build your own kit? Thanks
The inside of the frame is boxed up to the motor mounts all the way back to where the frontmost rear leaf spring hangar originally was. The rest of the frame is boxed on the outside from the motor mount all the way to where the bumper mounts. I will finish boxing the outside of the front before she ever leaves the shop. This was all done with the body off.

I made my own pieces, cut to fit, with 6in 1/4in flat steel. Total pain in the ass without a plasma cutter. If you have a plas I would highly recommend getting at least 12in flat steel and making templates as long as possible on cardboard to trace onto the flat steel. Using 6in wide steel forced me to make numerous cuts that were not very long ultimately sucking up more time and supplies than a long solid piece.

Hope all that makes sense.

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Made some progress on rear shocks this week. Found the shocks would bind on my axle tabs when one side was at full droop and the other side was at full stuff. Will be rotating axle tabs 90 degrees to hopefully alleviate that problem. I

I hope I will be trimming to make the 39.5 boggers fit next week, just need to get this rear suspension fully dialed in first. I may relocate the entire inner wheel well to ease tire fitment issues. The spot welds were drilling out quite easily and from what I can tell the top part of the wheel well is basically bolted on inside. Wont know for sure until I get there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
The inside of the frame is boxed up to the motor mounts all the way back to where the frontmost rear leaf spring hangar originally was. The rest of the frame is boxed on the outside from the motor mount all the way to where the bumper mounts. I will finish boxing the outside of the front before she ever leaves the shop. This was all done with the body off.

I made my own pieces, cut to fit, with 6in 1/4in flat steel. Total pain in the ass without a plasma cutter. If you have a plas I would highly recommend getting at least 12in flat steel and making templates as long as possible on cardboard to trace onto the flat steel. Using 6in wide steel forced me to make numerous cuts that were not very long ultimately sucking up more time and supplies than a long solid piece.

Hope all that makes sense.
It does thank you kindly.. great build BTW.

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This weeks progress included turning axle tabs to run with the length of the axle. Total win, no binding during any point of the flex test with nice neutral misalignment spacer angles in the shock. Also got the springs on the shocks to let her sit on her own weight for the first time since starting the rear 4 link.

Trimmed up the rear fenders to fit the tire after pushing the axle back 6". Took about 2-3" off the top of the fender well and maybe 6-8" in the back. Made my lines with a string measurement trying to account for the tire size and then some. I can still get the tire to touch when flexing but i am hoping bumpstops will prevent it from getting that stuffed into the fenderwell. Ordered poly 4.5" bumpstops for front and rear, once installed I will reevalute if I need to trim more or not. Also ordered rear 2" spacers to make the rear end as wide as the front.

Rear currently is sitting an inch or two lower than the front, I expect the front to drop to be level with the back once the front clip and everything has been installed. If not, I have tons of shock adjustment to play with.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looking good :smokin:
Thank you! Not sure she will be done this year. Have a couple other large purchases I need as well as untold amounts of nickel and dime items.

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Slow progress this week making bumpstop mounts and truss platforms on the rear end. Wasted half a day trying to cut out nice even bumpstop mounts with a grinder. Nothing was coming out the way I wanted it too, gussets weren't matching sizes and straight lines weren't perfectly straight making everything look like crap when welded together in my opinion. Made up some rough drawings with some measurements, sent them to a local friend with a 4x10 plas table for him to cut me out what I needed. What you see is the end result on the passenger side. Driver side is also complete. Next step is reevaluating my fender trimming needs.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Haven't really been working on the pile since early spring. Caught up with summer life and events. I chopped the dash structure out and gutted all the wiring mess behind it. Looks funny empty.

I have been stockpiling parts which included a k5 4 linked frame and shell with a nice cage, custom sway bar, tube doors, bunch of brake lines, seats and harnesses plus some other minor goodies. The body and frame are pretty much toast. She had a long hard life, good thing she's an organ donor because I gutted all the good shit. Also picked up a dana 60 shave kit.

Soon I plan to sleeve the bottom of the cage where I cut it out of the other tub. Once the cage is in and finished, it will give me a lot more things to do.

In the spirit of doing everything twice and sometimes more, I have pretty much decided to redo my front end 3 link to a 4 link and push the axle forward nearly 10 inches and go full hydro. The more I look at my link angles on my front end, compared to my rear link angles, the more hate it and want it to match the front. I wish I had just done this from the get go when I first started this build but I never expected to have it down nearly 4 years and get as deep as it has gotten. Fortunately, I cant get a whole lot deeper than where it is now.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the used cage in this weekend. Chopped far more off of it than I wanted/expected but is what it is. It's far from "done", still have plates and other fitment issues to settle. Plans to redo some of the parts I chopped off and improve other areas. Since I had to remove rear shock hoops to fit cage, I am strongly considering integrating the rear shocks into the cage. Only slightly more work than making the shock hoops work again.

Once the cage is all squared away, I intend to focus on the front 3 link changing to a 4 link stretched. Might start a new thread at that point as it would no longer be a 3linked Jimmy.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I guess it has been a while since I've done an update. No more 3 link front!

Cage photos aren't super current, but the cage has been fitted to my cab and has a handful of bolts holding her in until i'm a bit further along and know it's not moving anywhere. Opted to go back with my rear shock hoops, i'll tie them into the cage instead of trying to build the rest of the cage around them. Still need to add in an X at the B pillar and figure out how to integrate seat mounts, another thing that can wait until another day. Don't buy used cages, it's been a mother fucker just to make things fit halfway decent.

Been sick of looking at my steep front 3 link angles and cut everything off except the lower link brackets. Pushed the front end forward 12 inches, lower links(pvc mock up) are the same length as the rear lowers. Just got my upper link frame brackets in the mail today, looking to have shocks on and DOM links before I go back to work Wednesday night. Been playing with the triaged 4 link calculator a whole lot and think I found some numbers I am happy with that will work under my application. Will be looking at buying a full hydro set up when the wallet allows.

Future tentative plans are to change the rear upper links a little bit and make them the same length at the lowers then drop them an inch or two for some better anti squat numbers. Once all the suspension is dialed and where I want it to be, I will focus more on the cage and engine cage.

I'll post some new pics when I get the front shocks back on and she's sitting pretty once again.

Attachments

·
Mud Junkie
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Progress has been a little slower than I wanted, per usual, with the holidays then getting sick. But that's fine, the 4 link has been tacked into place with DOM and gone through a flex test and I am stoked with the results. 33" under the tires when raised up.

Been slowly working on shock and shock hoop placement, possibility my current hoops are going to give me issues when mounting the fenders as close as the hoops get to the frontmost body mount. Need to investigate that more this week, if they do cause fender fitment issues I will either have the hoops radius bent smaller or switch to a different style shock mount from Artec that takes up way less room.

Maybe coilovers will be mounted on my upcoming days off, maybe they wont. Largely depends on how the hoop fits with the fender.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts