Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Salton City,close to Ocatillo Wells (Anza Borrego SVRA), and just wanted something to do in my retirement years. So, i am building this rock crawler up for desert fun. Thanks to Pirate for the Toyota Bible FAQ, which gave me a lot of great ideas for the build. I researched a lot of other builds for info and ideas. Thanks, Guys!
http://postimg.org/gallery/331u1ul8/

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TG Hi-steer kit

After the Rear springs were installed up front, the Hi-steer was installed with a '94 IFS box, 3" fwd of stock location

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I had to rebuild the motor,new oil pump, water pump, alt, starter, new clutch, brakes/vented and drilled rotors, master cylinder; new radiator, carb, header exh: it all adds up

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Frt Driveshaft

Empire Driveline in Corona installed the 9" spline extension, with new cardan and driveshaft u-joints

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
36" TSL radials

It's a DD, so I got Radials, even 'tho the Bias Ply version is better for rocks, with the 3/4" thick sidewalls. I'm curious about the new BFG K02's, also. I can't mount these on the truck until i get the 5.29's installed (I'm doing the setup of the ring and pinions myself, 'cause i worked as a machinist most of my life). I'll post up pics of the process, if anyone is interested, also

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some fender trimming needed, use BL?

Also, these are 14.50 inches wide -remember "high-flotation" tires?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks good but those rear shocks are gonna get hung up on rocks
Yes; the shocks are 14" rears-that's why i did that (need to get 12's, i guess): as soon as i get the rear flip kit and diff armor I'll weld them behind the axle housing, where they should be. Thanks for input!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
rear shocks

As Duneburner mentioned, the rear shocks will hang up on rocks the way they are: i'm waiting for more stuff (diff armor and shorter shocks), before i mount them behind the axle, where they should be mounted. Hope i can be ready in time for the season here in Octatillo Wells (next week?)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couldn't find a pic of your rear shocks but everything looks good. Congrats on retiring!

Thanks for the kind words, KDub.
Also, i used custom made 6.5 inch rear shackles and moved the new frt hangars 11 inches fwd

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Reuse parts where possible

Reused the 5.5 inch rear shackles on the "Rear Up Front" springs. With the AAL( Add A Leaf), i have about 5 1/2 inches of lift in the front (I need to clear the 36" TSL's). The front axle has ended up about 3" fwd of original.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump stops

i have the frt bump stops set at 3.5 inches -i need to get on a ramp and set for just before the spring goes "negative"

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
63" chevy rear springs

The 4wd chevy springs ride real soft; because of their length, it was necessary to weld the new frt hangars 11 inches fwd of the orig hangars. Not as soft riding as an OME suspension, but plenty good enough for me! I am after the flex and droop that will maintain the wheels in contact with the ground over large rocks, thus maintaining some semblance of traction

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Frt Stabilizer

i need to redo the frame mt for the front stabilizer shock; it's just one side of a stock spring hangar

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
To Do:

free image uploading
I did install the stainless extended brake hoses; i still need to install the Wilwood rear brake proportioning valve and a dual diaphram brake booster (96)and up trucks), so i can still stop with the 36" tires. I have the USA Std Gear budget priced 5.29 ring and pinions in hand for the frt and rear diffs, I would use the more expensive Nitro or G2, but just can't afford the "good stuff" right now. As for the future, I'll be needing dual transfer cases, and i will need to rebuild the rear wheel bearings, tranny and transfer case because i don't want to hold everyone up because my junk broke. Guess that means Bobby Longs in the frt axles, or at least spare stockers. Maybe i'll win the lottery!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.