Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 4Runner Fuel Issue....

Heres the deal Bob Roggy at Roggy Ent. has finished my coil conversion in the rear of the 4Runner the installation is tits to say the least. As a result I have had to install a remote 22 Gal. fuel cell from Summit and a fuel pump on the frame rail. Orginally I hooked up the wires from the new feul pump to the existing factory wires which travel through the factory harness (Excluding the sender wires for the fuel level in dash gauge). On first attempt to start the truck it ran for apprx. 2 sec.......then all it would do is key start and keep turning over.

I checked fuses and came to find I had popped a 10a under the dash I raplaced that fuse and tried again.....same results except I didnt blow the fuse. Since this first incident there is no power to the factory wires????

To date I have installed a remote wire for the fuel pump, along with a 15a fuse to a dash mounted toggle. Hoping this would solve the problem I attepted another start of the motor. Currently it starts and runs for about 1 sec. and then dies???? I am at lose as to why this is happening. Another note is that the fuel pump keeps on running with fuel pressure at the EFI on the engine....I checked the check valve on the EFI unit on the motor to make sure its delivering fuel....it is .

Everything is grounded, the factory charcoal canister line is open from the engine compartment (which shouldnt matter?) The new pump is running at 97 PSI (I was told a factory Toyota fuel pump for EFI motors run at 90PSI.

My next thoughts for tonights troubleshooting are to look at the factory wiring and trace it ...................is there another fuel pump relay I could have blow in line?? If this wiring is good hook it back up to the stock wiring and see what happens.

Questions:

Do I have the right PSI Pump?

Does the factory Toy Fuel pump have an internal on and off switch for pressure?

Do I have to regulate this pressure?

Does the tank have to be grounded?

Any information would be helpful.....UGET IT

This is UGET IT over at Lance house drinking Cabo Wabo Tequlia....LOL

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: 85 4Runner Fuel Issue....

What motor is it (22re)??? The last toyota I worked on had the fuel pressure set at 45 psi we bumped it to 48psi. They may mabe ment that it was a 98 LPH pump.

That fuel pressure bay be putting too much pressuer on the injectors..

·
Registered
232 Posts
4x4Grrl said:
It is a 22RE, I should have mentioned that.....;)
With the 22RE you will definatly want to back it down to 45psi on the low side (idle) and 50 psi max on the high side (off idle or w/o vacume line on the regulator.)

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Shouldn't this thread be in the Toyota Forum:confused:

:D :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
1. The regulator is mechanical and on the fuel rail... Shouldn't have anything to do with it unless it's stuck shut... Then you could be experiencing an extremely fat condition.

2. Toyota uses the Bosch pat. pintle style injector... These injectors are VERY resistant to hydraulic locking due to the VERY small surface area of the pintle... Blower cars run these things at 80 + psi... I don't think they're failing to open. You can always pull a plug and check for wetness to verify.

3. There was 3... Count them 3 inline relays on my 4Runner, so I simply 86'ed them for trail fix simplicity and replaced with a single SPST relay. There's no problem with hot wiring the pump to ignition or a switch... The very worst that could happen is, you could run your battery dead if you left the ignition on for a long time. The fuel will just keep cycling past the regulator and into the tank.

4. The fuel cell does not have to be grounded to make the pump work.

5. Fuel pressure is essential... Check it first.

6. Disconnect the fuel line up front and prime the line.

7. Make sure your pump is as close to the tank as possible and mounted lower than the tank itself...

8. Make sure the polarity on the pump is correct... I've seen manufacturers label it backwards MANY MANY times. Same goes for cooloing fans. The pump could also be DOA.

9. Hope some of this helps... :D

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
Some of the High PSI pumps don't "Suck" very well and need to be placed near the tank, You might need a small 10 PSI pusher pump to push the fuel from the tank to the High PSI pump

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is UGET IT...........................The pump is located right near the tank...like 2" from it. The tank however only has 5 gallons in it and its a 22Gallon unit, is this am issue.

I also checked NAPA, they didnt have any regulators to fit my EFI issue. They ony had a Holley 10PSI Regulator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts