Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming one is going with air's or co's, is there any problem with running a full width 85-91.5 front hpd60 while not lifting more than 3" over stock hight on a TJ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
No more than any other completely custom install.:shaking:

·
Registered
263 Posts
i made the same mistake, we couldnt get it to work get a different axle its a bitch to get that to work

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
i made the same mistake, we couldnt get it to work get a different axle its a bitch to get that to work
Bullshit! Works fine in my 97TJ. And like posted above was no more difficult than putting ANY 1 ton axle under a 1/4 ton jeep!

·
Registered
401 Posts
it's only tougher if its staying coils. But since he said hes going with c/o's or air then it is no problem at all with the tube length. Actually its better because you dont need a two piece front driveshaft since the pinion is over about 3 inches farther.

I did have a slight issue with not being able to use my high steer arms for steering due to the tie rods from the cylinder hitting the frame a few inches before full stuff. Going low is hard.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's only tougher if its staying coils. But since he said hes going with c/o's or air then it is no problem at all with the tube length. Actually its better because you dont need a two piece front driveshaft since the pinion is over about 3 inches farther.

I did have a slight issue with not being able to use my high steer arms for steering due to the tie rods from the cylinder hitting the frame a few inches before full stuff. Going low is hard.
Thanks Bruce, that is what I was trying to get at. My main concern is the pinion location.
I haven't torn things apart yet so its hard to tell with just a measuring tape.
I can tell its going to be a pain keeping it down low already... time to buy a plasma!:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I went/going full hydro and moved the front axle forward 7 inches. The top of the diff just touches the lower radiator hose at full stuff. I have a friend who used a 79 and had to go with a two piecs front driveshaft. It works good but why deal with it if you dont have to. I love it when people say the later 60 is shit for tj's. As long as your using coilovers or air shocks they'er great. Buy one cheap from some dumbass who thinks he needs a 78-79.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I went/going full hydro and moved the front axle forward 7 inches. The top of the diff just touches the lower radiator hose at full stuff. I have a friend who used a 79 and had to go with a two piecs front driveshaft. It works good but why deal with it if you dont have to. I love it when people say the later 60 is shit for tj's. As long as your using coilovers or air shocks they'er great. Buy one cheap from some dumbass who thinks he needs a 78-79.
And honestly, if you can weld AT ALL the later model 60's work well with coils and shocks.....as I am still running them!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a picture is worth 1000 words...

Thanks for all the help guys.
I'm getting the feeling this is common knowledge.:homer: WTF, I need to get out more often or at least read the board more.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I moved the coil buckets forward 2.5" on the frame. I used a set of Ballistic Fabrication buckets and modified them a little.

Axle was cut down 3" on the passenger side. Front is 66" wms and the rear is 65" wms

Attachments

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
1985 Ford D60 with coils....works fine:D
this is probally one of the cleanest ways to get a 85up dana 60 into a TJ with coils. agin very nice and its a narowed axle i like that, jason.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
this is probally one of the cleanest ways to get a 85up dana 60 into a TJ with coils. agin very nice and its a narowed axle i like that, jason.
Thanks for the compliment. The Ballistic Fab link/shock/coil mount piece made it alot easier.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. The Ballistic Fab link/shock/coil mount piece made it alot easier.

Not to hijack, but do you have any pics of the coil bucket setup on the shortside?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks Bruce, that is what I was trying to get at. My main concern is the pinion location.
I haven't torn things apart yet so its hard to tell with just a measuring tape.
I can tell its going to be a pain keeping it down low already... time to buy a plasma!:D

Yup Yup the idea of the pinion being offset to the driver side was the appealing point to me ,,I got to see the78-79 d60 clearances on a 4.0 with a 3 link and didnt like the pinion location as opposed to the t case front out put..

I do like the idea of tj with 3" and d60's

make sure to take pics :smokin:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts