Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this truck in November 2010 for $1200, not running but complete and not in good enough shape to worry about a little body damage. :D

Pretty sweet 3" 200lb cast pipe front bumper huh? :flipoff2:
Had a matching rear and side steps to go with it.

I had a lot of work to do just to get it running and in decent mechanical shape. At some point a newer 22re was put in, connectors hacked, wrong injectors, 2 bolts holding the transmission to the engine, wooden block shimming the starter, it only got worse.

Anyway after fixing all that and throwing some tune up stuff at it, I had it running. The theme for this rig has been to keep it cheap, used parts and deals when I find them, so there is a slight rambling nonsense to when stuff gets upgraded.

Whipped up a simple battery hold down since mine was missing.

Got a set of 4 runner seats on the cheap. Pulled the covers off and gave them a bath, restitched a few tears and threw them in the truck.
Before and after.

Ran across a deal on a used front Allpro bumper, some sliders and tube doors. Previous owner had torched them off, so with a little fab and some time I had them on the truck.

I know, I didn't turn the sliders back up, but I like them the way they are, and they have taken a beating and are still in good shape.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have no idea how many miles are on the engine, so off came the timing cover, and yep it needed some attention in there. :shaking:

Got a new radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, chain, sprockets, guides, yada yada while I was in there. Had to throw a hanger bearing under it as well.

Since I didn't have turn signals, I added them into the corner markers. I clearanced the bulb hole and used a parts store socket for a dual filament bulb.

Somewhere in there I hit up pull a part and got some IFS calipers, a steering box, and a few other things for about $80. :D I bought a set of vented front rotors and a knuckle rebuild kit and got to work cleaning and rebuilding the front axle. Got the brakes installed and bled out, also put a master cylinder from a newer truck (94 I think) on it.

Also managed to warranty out the old Ranchos that were on it, so at least I had it somewhat road worthy.

Drove it to the scrap yard with all the old bumpers and other crap I cut off it, and got about $50 for it. It was pretty satisfying finally getting to drive it, although the damn steering was scary. :eek:

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next day I was turning it around in the yard and the damn draglink fell off. Can't imagine why. :homer:

Ended up getting a flipped J arm from a buddy and a drop draglink and rode it like this for about a year. But it worked, and put up with some serious abuse so I really can't talk too bad about it.

Found a set of Aluminum wheels and 33" TSLs for cheap, so they went on. Along with some cheap parts store lights I had laying around.

And to the woods it went, open diffs and all. :D

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So then I decieded to get one of these.

And I took the 8K Warn I had on a multimount for years off and put it on the front of the truck. I had picked up a new cable for cheap so I spooled it on as well.

I found a rear tube bumper for cheap (notice the theme?) and welded it on. I cut 2 pieces of 1 1/2" tube longways so it would slide over the frame, and notched the ends going to the bumper. I drilled a couple of holes in the roll pan to run them through and welded them up. I ran some flat stock bracing from the frame to the reciever for support when recovering form it.

Since the tailgate wouldn't close worth a crap, I deleted it and ran some tube up to the sides to give it some bracing.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hated the stock steering wheel, and it was falling apart anyways (notice the theme here?) so I picked up a Grant off Craigslist for $25 and installed it. I had Pioneer amp and some speakers on the shelf, some trading got me a Pioneer CD player and a set of dash speakers. :)

And then I ran across a cage. The truck it was in had a flop, so the owner cut the roof off and built a custom cage for it.

I cut the roof bars, put an internal sleeve in, and welded it back together after I got it back in the truck.

Old blueprints work great for masking stuff off.

Then in went a set of Crow harnesses. And man what a difference those made, the old seatbelts would cut my head off every chance they got.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This past November, I grended the input shaft bearing on the transfer case. The one thing I didn't check was the bolts holding it to the transmission. :(

Meanwhile, I found another case and installed it, only to take it back out 2 months later when I smoked the clutch.

Replaced it, and the flywheel. :smokin:

Cut some new trails at a local offroad park this spring, and managed to bash the front diff a little, no ring gear contact, I have the diff armor on order. :flipoff2:

· Premium Member
36,061 Posts
How do you like those harness'? Do they seem to be holding up with some time on them?

Bummer you had to ditch that front bumper. Shit was custom!!! :barf:

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you like those harness'? Do they seem to be holding up with some time on them?
Freaking love them! Best $40 I ever spent, I have the 5th point attached under the seat, but it doesn't work real well since it doesn't come thru the seat. I plan on doing something about that if I can find somme sort of trim to go around the slot that I will cut for it. They were in a Teryx before this and have lots of time on them but they are holding up excellent.

Good platform you have there, any plans to swap that j arm out for some high steer? I highly suggest that. Cheers!
Already done it, I'll post some more pictures and info soon. :)

· Registered
60 Posts
No wonder I can't find any good used Toyota junk for sale on CL anymore, you're scarfing it all up! Seriously, truck looks good. You need to remember how to get back to the Rocket City and ride with us sometime...

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No wonder I can't find any good used Toyota junk for sale on CL anymore, you're scarfing it all up! Seriously, truck looks good. You need to remember how to get back to the Rocket City and ride with us sometime...
Yep, I have found some amazing deals lately. I have been wanting to come ride with you guys, maybe now that a certain scrambler has a cage finished, I can get an invite.
Did you ever get that other flipped ball J arm and drop drag link I sent you?

· Registered
60 Posts
I got a drop drag link, but I don't think I got the flipped J arm. Sounds like I need to go see a certain Scrambler owner. He was so busy finishing up his cage for the MO ride he probably forgot about it. Some of the Toyota guys are riding tomorrow at the new Holly Tree Off Road park in Paint Rock Valley, but I won't be able to make it.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I got a drop drag link, but I don't think I got the flipped J arm. Sounds like I need to go see a certain Scrambler owner.
I thought I gave it to him, maybe I didn't, I gave my other one away, but may be able to get it back if you need it.

So now that I have the truck in decent mechaical shape, I deceided to work on the suspension since the front tires were always rubbing the cab and my rear springs looked like this:

I found a set of 63" Chevy springs for $30, and built all the hangers and shackles myself. If I had it to do over, I would have just bought a kit and welded that in.

Picked it up a good bit in the rear, and it flexes alot better.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back up front, I had a good set of rears off an 88 that I got for $20 and an Sky IFS box mount kit that was left over from a friend's SAS Tacoma that went full hydro. I built my own hanger using 2x3 tubing and 1/4" plate for the spring buckets, frenched in a reciever as well. Again this is something else I would just buy instead of fabbing.

I welded the spring buckets inside and out, they should hold up pretty good.

The spring bolt hole is moved down 1 3/8" and forward 1 1/2 ", it measures 45 3/4" from the center of the shackle tube in the frame.

I welded in a little extra support for the reciever as well.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Had a good set of 88 rear springs I picked up for $30. The fronts I removed were a set of 2" Rancho (I think) 3 leaf packs. I reused the bottom leaf with the clamps opened up, and cut down the second leaf to give the pack some support and keep the back of them from going into negative arch at full stuff.

After tacking in the spring hanger, I bolted them in, set my tie rod and drag link in the now installed high steer arms, and started figuring out steering box placement.

Ended up hacking out the core support, not like that matters much since I think this truck has been hit more than once. I got the box as far forward as I could without getting into the body mount, which is mangled from a previos wreck I guess.

Welded up the tubes on the frame plate kit, drilled some holes, grind, weld, repeat. How bout that kick ass welding table! :flipoff2:

Ordered a set of Sky boomerang shackles, a set of Energy Suspension bushings (part# 8.2102G) and a TG u-bolt flip kit and finally got it back together (mostly anyways.)

Two things I'm not totally sure about here,
1. Not really sure if I needed boomerangs or if normal shackles would work better, probably going to just wait and see how it works in the woods.

2. My draglink and tierod are not exactly parallel, I'm using a stock pitman arm with the Sky adapter on the draglink. The draglink doesn't go over or past the tierod, but the two do get closer on the driver's side than the passenger side.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took the steering sector shaft apart and worked on extending it. If I ever do it on another truck, I'll heat the areas with the plastic up with a propane torch to melt it out.

I chopped it at the round tubing end by the rag joint and sleeved it with a piece of tube I had laying around. It got rosette welded and welded on each end. And I left the slip part with the abiltity to slip, may never need it to but it's there if I do. Antiseize on the splines will make it easy to get off as well.

The other night I chopped off the old shock mounts and built up some bump stops. They are left over 2x3 tubing from the hanger and original bumps welded to the spring plates.

Traded some stuff and waiting on a buddy to bend me up some shock hoops, still have to find some 12" travel shocks, then install some longer brake lines and the front should be good to go. The rear will be getting shocks and hoops through the bed, cross bar to serve as a high lift mount, and bumps as well. I was going to use the stock rear bumps with an extension, but delaminated one welding it up. :shaking:

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mandatory driveway floorjack flex picture.

How it sits now.

Found a steal on a new TG dual adapter on Craigslist last week, so I pulled out the old case I blew the bearing up on, and took it back apart. I previously had replaced the bearing and reassembled the case about a month ago. It had only been torn apart since December. :laughing:

I had a guy in our club that bought a CNC plasma table burn me out a new crossmember. I think it will be the nicest part of the whole damn truck!
Here it is mocked up on the case I took apart for the crawl box.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.