Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was this something Toyota did in 85? Guy says the lift on truck Im thinking about has one. It's lifted, just never heard of the factory lift.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
toyota never put a lift on any truck from the factory. could've been dealer-installed though

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
I can't even remember how many times over the years I have heard from Joe So-n-so that I meet "yeah, and it has a factory lift too".

No such thing - never happened.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that's what I thought. He kept saying it was one of only 2000something made. I just went along and figured I be corrected if wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Yes they existed, but no they weren't factory. It is probably one of the Downey pick-ups. In 1985 you could go to a toyota dealership, and buy a truck with 35" tires, 3+" of lift, and 5.29 diffs. You could also get them with lockers. If you go to your parts buddy at toyota, and ask them to look up part numbers, the computer wont show anything because these weren't toyota options. They were dealer options offered as a "Downey" package. I've never actually seen one of these things in person that I could swear was actually one of the Downey trucks, but if you watch back to the future, the truck he gets at the end is an example of one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, then is there any way to know what gears are in it. Just from the axle code that is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts