Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying this truck Tommorow Night , and went and check it out last night. We agreed upon $1100 , which I thick is fair. It has new batt's ,and seems well taken care of. I would like to use it for a gooseneck tow rig for 2 offroad trucks. It is a 85 International S-1600.

I think it is a 444 But would like to know. The biggest issue it has is not going into 2/3 gears which he says is something to do with the tightness of the shifter. So I need to check that out. Anyways on to the pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
I checked that one out too, lol. Saw it on craigslist a few days ago, sounds like the rebuilder screwed up on the trans. maybe has a sheared roll pin on the shifter rail.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
Phil, so its got the 7.3 in it but what trans? I'll talk to a couple trans guys i know to see about the shifting problem.

edit: you sure about that being a t444? cause it might actually be the 6.9 liter.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
That looks a lot like the Spicer trans in my S1600. I'll snap a pic for you tomorrow.

Are those split rims? :(

Sweet rig.

Chop the frame right behind the spring mounts. Gooseneck/5th wheel over the axle.

Could you keep about 8' of the flatbed behind the cab? Set a regular cabover camper on that bed, and you'd never feel it back there.

You could probably get $4-500 for the rear lift gate. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Being an 85, that should be a 420(6.9L in Ford speak) not a 444. I believe Hypermax makes a turbo kit to fit that chassis.
As for the trans, I have no sweet clue... There should be an ID tag on it somewhere though.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Being an 85, that should be a 420(6.9L in Ford speak) not a 444. I believe Hypermax makes a turbo kit to fit that chassis.
As for the trans, I have no sweet clue... There should be an ID tag on it somewhere though.
Yep, if it's stock then it is a 6.9. Good engine, not a powerhouse by today standards, but can be hopped up easily and is pretty bullet proof.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If is is a 6.9 I am really not all that interested. The price is $1100. What you all think? I am not one for driving a dog if it is. I was hoping for a 444 , or 466 .

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
If is is a 6.9 I am really not all that interested. The price is $1100. What you all think? I am not one for driving a dog if it is. I was hoping for a 444 , or 466 .
I would say drive it before you decide it was a dog. When you say 444 are you referring to the Powerstroke? If so you are about 10 years too early. I drove an 88 Pickup with a 7.3L IDI and was quite surprised with the power. As far as what you are paying, I'd expect twice that for a 7.3L equipped truck and quite a bit more for a 444 or 466 equipped truck.

I am assuming it's a manual, it may be worth a test drive, even with the messed up transmission.

·
Registered
785 Posts
are you trying to copy me???
got a line on a trans, or a motor and trans if you need one motor is a 466 P pump in a whole cab fire truck.

a 6.9L and a 7.3L you will see no noticble power difference..........trust me........
big trucks can cost big bills.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I drive a T444E Truck at work I had 26,000 in the box a week ago , and you could definately feel it. I am not comparing it to a modern engine because it is apples , and oranges. I think I am gonna pass on this I really wanted a crew cab. Also I have had no time to finish up some stuff in the garage so I should wait to clear up some space. At $1100 it didn't seem to bad . It was strange to drive tho as I am used to a Turbo , as well as having all gears . 1st to 4th is kinda rough ... ;) Anyways thanks for all the help guys :) In Reality I ideally wanted crew cab shorter WB , and a 466. All those add up to Big $$ Tho. Strangest of all this truck has a B plate putting it at 8,000lbs .... :laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
6.9 and 7.3 will drive exactly the same, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in power in a truck like that. Be honest i would rather have a 6.9 anyway, they have a stouter block with the thicker cylinder walls, cavitation is less of an issue with them than the 7.3's.

EDIT: And im going to say the same thing i told you when you were talking about buying all your bling bling tools. Why dont you finish your rig before buying another money pit?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I drive a T444E Truck at work I had 26,000 in the box a week ago , and you could definately feel it. I am not comparing it to a modern engine because it is apples , and oranges. I think I am gonna pass on this I really wanted a crew cab. Also I have had no time to finish up some stuff in the garage so I should wait to clear up some space. At $1100 it didn't seem to bad . It was strange to drive tho as I am used to a Turbo , as well as having all gears . 1st to 4th is kinda rough ... ;) Anyways thanks for all the help guys :) In Reality I ideally wanted crew cab shorter WB , and a 466. All those add up to Big $$ Tho. Strangest of all this truck has a B plate putting it at 8,000lbs .... :laughing:

crew cab 466 air brake with a 9 speed sitting at jones in joliet.
another crew cab sitting a the lanscaper at 45 and laraway...
know where you can get a longer 94 95 ish top kick with a 6 speed, and a 3126 for DIRT cheap locally.

those trucks are all so fucking plain though.

can get you akiller deal a a 466, 5+2, 88 vintage. had a major cab fire.

t444e is WAY different than any of those engines that truck could of had.....
thats why i bought a dt466 E engine in my air brake truck.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
6.9 and 7.3 will drive exactly the same, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in power in a truck like that. Be honest i would rather have a 6.9 anyway, they have a stouter block with the thicker cylinder walls, cavitation is less of an issue with them than the 7.3's.

EDIT: And im going to say the same thing i told you when you were talking about buying all your bling bling tools. Why dont you finish your rig before buying another money pit?
Deal came along so I was checkin into it...

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
I'd love a 9-speed or a 5+2! :(

The 7.3L has plenty of low-end, but I run out of gears at about 60mph with the 5-speed Spicer tranny.

crew cab 466 air brake with a 9 speed sitting at jones in joliet.
another crew cab sitting a the lanscaper at 45 and laraway...
know where you can get a longer 94 95 ish top kick with a 6 speed, and a 3126 for DIRT cheap locally.

those trucks are all so fucking plain though.

can get you akiller deal a a 466, 5+2, 88 vintage. had a major cab fire.

t444e is WAY different than any of those engines that truck could of had.....
thats why i bought a dt466 E engine in my air brake truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
a 466 is an inline 6...correct??

wih that being so, you should have known by looking at the motor that at least it wasnt a 466.

if you want a crew cab, check DOT auctions, they have tons of them, all crew cabs so 5 crew members can do nothing at once

1 - 17 of 17 Posts