Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up selling my 72 Nova and decided to hit the mud again. I found my 1985 K30 out in Phoenix, Az. And instantly knew what I wanted to make it look like! Going TeXaS style. Bigger is better! Ha!

The day I picked it up.

Bone stock 454, 103k original miles, TH400, np205, dana60, 14bolt FF, 4.10s, Hydroboost conversion, with working A/C and Heat and whats supposed to be a 6" suspension lift. (was more like 4"sih)

Had to swap out the front tires with some junkers so the straps would go around the front tire. And yes Uhaul knew about what was going on the trailer.. (Just didnt mention that it was lifted 6")

After much research I decided to go with ORD (Off Road Design) 12" suspension kit and a 3" body from summit.

On with the 3" Body lift. (And yes I was alone and did it myself hense the engine hoist in the fender wells)

Body Lift done

Added some simple gauges from O'reillys for $50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went out to Tucson and picked up some Goodyear 46" MV/T's from military surplus shop. 395/85R20!! $900 for all 4 with mounting! 2 of them were bran spanking new with the sticker still on! and other 2 were about 90% tread.

Mounted on some 20x10 XD Diesels with -24mm offset, 8x6.5 bolt pattern I picked up from 4Wheel Parts. Machine and black. I didn't like the all black or all chrome ones. These were perfect! Can't forget the 9/16 black lug nuts too.

Teaser (This is before the body lift.)

Installing the ORD rear hangers/shackles. Ground off the factory rivets and removed the factory hanger. Measured 4" forward and drilled new holes for the ORD hanger.

Blury pic but rear is getting finished up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5'7" and the rear tires are flat.

Now on to the front!

Front is done!

Getting Gas.. and a lotto ticket to pay for the next tank!

Az says gotta have mud flaps. Went to home depot and got some welcome mats and some flat steel and made my own. They look like shit but it avoids the fuzz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I'm out in El Paso, Tx for work and took a tour of MSD the other day. Bitchin place! I'm going to get the Atomic EFI kit for the 454. I've got a left over nitrous kit at home I'll throw on there sometime too.

Next paycheck, Tax return parts list:
5.38 Gears
Full spool (rear only)
Bearing Install kit
Disc Brake conversion bracket for the rear. (Already bought the 3/4ton rotors, calipers and pads.
And some rear shock mounting tabs.
2500 Stall

And everything in the Budget build 454 article from Super Chevy. 700hp from a stock BBC.

Building a 700 Horsepower 454 On a Budget - Super Chevy Magazine

No I'm not cutting the fenders. I drove over a curb a few weeks ago at like 30mph and the driver side tire "massaged" the edge inwards quite a bit. Looks pretty good actually. Might have to do the same to the other side.

Its a work in progress. She'll get there. Oh and the AC/Heat still work! That right there is worth it all haha!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Not my style, but should work for what you want to do.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Please change Texas to florida in the first post.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Ruined a beautiful truck.....
I agree.

I think this is a perfect example of a guy that has no problem changing the suspension, gearing, modifying the motor and steering, but god forbid he touch the fenders. No, no he needs to lift it sky high and look gay as fuck. Those wheels are gay, too, and have too much BS.

Either way at least a few years form now, when you cannot afford the gas. A real Pirate member will take that pile, swap in some 4" springs and ditch the body lift and run a set of 42" and rock that truck.

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
im gunna have to give this one a big tooth gap whistlin LEEEEEGit.

diggin the short wheel base look as well. i cant talk to much shit tho since yours is off the jack stands. maby it should go back tho? food for thought

·
Registered
183 Posts
at least raise the gas tanks back up if your gonna have a body lift... all you do is drop the tanks and drill new holes 3" lower ON THE BRACKET...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like everything but the tire and wheel combo. Theres no place for bling on a mud truck. Those tires are heavy and suck in mud. 44" bogger swamper combo would b much better. Racing or off roading those axles are gonna blow. Your bordering on mall crawler territory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Oh no worries, since the money is coming from my pocket the only opinion that matters is mine. About the tanks, yes I was looking at just throwing in a fuel cell in the bed but I'll look into raising them like you mentioned. The MV/Ts are on there for now because I'm in AZ, no mud until monsoon season. But I will eventually PCS and then I'll snag some XML's or LTB's. I removed the front shaft to replace the joints and get extended So it should be finished once I get back to Az. I'll update the posts then with the pictures. The truck is for mud and road only so I'm not too worried about going out trailing or racing. As for a tow rig, I already have a F250 King Ranch to tow and a 6banger mustang for good mpg.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great job on ruining a nice clean K30.....I would kill to have that truck in stock form

1 - 20 of 71 Posts