Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting this for a buddy...just linked the rear of his truck tonight. First time either one of us have done a link setup. Just wanting to get everyones input...good or bad let me know your thoughts...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lowers are 46" long i believe and go to the outside of the axle
the uppers are 54" long i think and go to the middle of axle...
what more do you need...those were pretty much all our numbers...more pics to come it got pretty late last night. Thanks

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
is that top axle mount just one mount moved out to hold both the upper links? Like on one bolt? cuse thats retarded.

Also thos heims look pretty small? what size are they? The load angles on those heims look way off too. The upper mounts arent angled at all, and the frame side lowers are pointed the wrong way?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
the lowers are 46" long i believe and go to the outside of the axle
the uppers are 54" long i think and go to the middle of axle...
what more do you need...those were pretty much all our numbers...more pics to come it got pretty late last night. Thanks
I think there asking for numbers like antisquat, separation, ect....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the links are not mounted to the axle yet...the uppers are held together by 1 bolt just to get an idea, and the lowers are hanging there with bungy cords.
As far as seperation and antisquat...i have no idea what you are talking about...please enlighten me on this. The truck is sitting maybe 2 or 3 inches higher than ride height or atleast were i would like it to be...

Bottom links are creeper joints and the top links are 3/4" chromo hiems from a local shop
springs are from a ford areostar

Thanks for all the replys...once again i am doing this link setup for the first time...and if it doesnt work i will scrap the whole idea...i am not new to wheeling as this truck has a 4.3 vortec, w56, duals with a 5.0, 60 front 5.38 and 14ff rear 5.38....will be sitting on 42 pitbulls also. All advice is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
The truck is sitting maybe 2 or 3 inches higher than ride height or atleast were i would like it to be...
Then imo it is too high. have you cycled it yet to see how much travel you have up and down? Does anything bind? Kind of important if you want to see if things work. I think most people would agree that your up travel should be 1/3 of your down travel or better. But the lower you go the less 'up' you will get. It's a compromise. And don't be afraid to trim sheet metal. It's real easy after that first cut:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Do some search on here for 4link set ups and 4 link calculators before you go any farther and come out with just a guess and something that will ride and wheel like shit. There is plenty of posts in here that are very very helpfull when it comes to links. Right now it looks like it will unload pretty bad on you. Those hiems look quite a bit on the week side and i wouldnt even think about haveing the heims at that must of angles or your defenetly asking for some broken parts.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
the links are not mounted to the axle yet...the uppers are held together by 1 bolt just to get an idea, and the lowers are hanging there with bungy cords.
As far as seperation and antisquat...i have no idea what you are talking about...please enlighten me on this. The truck is sitting maybe 2 or 3 inches higher than ride height or atleast were i would like it to be...

Bottom links are creeper joints and the top links are 3/4" chromo hiems from a local shop
springs are from a ford areostar

Thanks for all the replys...once again i am doing this link setup for the first time...and if it doesnt work i will scrap the whole idea...i am not new to wheeling as this truck has a 4.3 vortec, w56, duals with a 5.0, 60 front 5.38 and 14ff rear 5.38....will be sitting on 42 pitbulls also. All advice is appreciated!!!
Upon further examination, did you build those upper frame mounts? because they look really thin near the mount points. Like and 1" thick? they need to be swapped out for something legitimate.

x2 on being way too high.

With your setup i would move the lowers under the frame and buy some real mounts and run them straight. But if you want to keep them triangulated like that then the mounts to be moved to the middle of the frame.

but also i would have researched 4 links a little bit before i built one...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some more research we have deceided to extend the lowers and move then inward on the frame...lowered the ride height and inboarded the coils a little...trial and error...any more suggestions would be great...ill post another picture tonight once the links are mounted to the axle...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Do some search on here for 4link set ups and 4 link calculators before you go any farther and come out with just a guess and something that will ride and wheel like shit. There is plenty of posts in here that are very very helpfull when it comes to links. Right now it looks like it will unload pretty bad on you. Those hiems look quite a bit on the week side and i wouldnt even think about haveing the heims at that must of angles or your defenetly asking for some broken parts.
This..

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics, but it does not look like you have much vertical separation at the axle side. Also I thought you want the uppers as flat as possible at ride height. Your probably gonna want to do a truss on the diff and raise their mounting points up.

But like others said, hit the 4-link calculator. It will save you a bunch of time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
u should build or buy a truss and mount the little hiems on that
u need more separation between uppers and lowers

·
Registered
732 Posts
After some more research we have deceided to extend the lowers and move then inward on the frame...lowered the ride height and inboarded the coils a little...trial and error...any more suggestions would be great...ill post another picture tonight once the links are mounted to the axle...
get more separation on the frame side (upper from lowers, IE lower the lower mount) and more separation on the axle side, IE raise the upper mount for the upper links

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
If you plug the #'s from that in the four link calc, it will laugh at you. Needs more seperation at the axle, the frame side upper mounts need to be clocked so you are using up all the miss alignment before it articulates, your upper to lower link length ratio is shitty, The links should be much flatter and if you inboard those coils it will get even softer as those are allready a light rate spring and cause more body roll and hurt your ability to sidehill. All in all you need to do some homework.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts