3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject says it all, will it bolt in??

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good one smartass!:flipoff2:

I'm giving the column to somebody with an '83. He just picked up and EFI and wiring from an '85.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Get both wiring diagrams from the respective FSMs, cut the EFI out of the 85 harness, and solder it into the proper places on the 83. That's the best bet IMHO. Unless there's something I'm missing?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
i am pretty sure the column will not bolt up.
but the multi switch from the 85 will bolt to the 83 column

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gnob said:
i am pretty sure the column will not bolt up.
but the multi switch from the 85 will bolt to the 83 column
See, now there's some info I can use.:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Frank, are you giving that column to John today? I think I am making this to be harder that it is. I just don't get along with wires to well because of my color blindness. I am going to take out the entire harness on the 83 and use the 85 harness. Last night I checked all the plugs to the lights and they all match up. The only place I will end up splicing is in the cab. John will be helping out in that area. everything in the engine compartment plugs up without any prodlem and all the plugs match up.

gnob, could you pm me or send me pics of how youwired the dash and the ignition? thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
I put a tilt column from an '81 into my '84 cab, so it shouldn't be too hard to do an '85 into an '83. Bolt patterns were slightly different at firewall and dash, but that's what drills are for.
Wiring was a little harder, but I dug up schematics and compared them and made it work.

Broderick

·
Registered
324 Posts
When I get the colmn form Frank tonight I will look and see how involved it will be and deside from there. I hope it will work out for the good. We will see.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff,

The wiring can be easily seperated from the column. If what GNOB said about the switch is right it will be an easy swap and you won't need the column at all.

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
fourwd1 said:

I put a tilt column from an '81 into my '84 cab, so it shouldn't be too hard to do an '85 into an '83. Bolt patterns were slightly different at firewall and dash, but that's what drills are for.
Wiring was a little harder, but I dug up schematics and compared them and made it work.

Broderick
Got a pic of the end result? I want to put a 4wd tilt column in my 2wd '84 extracab. Mainly for the steering u-joint on the firewall. I want it to look decent if I am gonna go through all the trouble.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
alright, i have some pics, they are not super great, since i unfortunatley dont feel like pulling all the shit out from under the dash in the 40 degree dark.
i figured out this ignition thing from a frigging haynes manual, so it cant be that deep, check out the following pics of the ignition, proof of the multi switch fitting, and the fusebox and cpu mounting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
now as far as pics of the back of the dash, if they would be of any use i would post them, on a nice sunny day.
the plugs for the 83 are different from my 79.
the 83 has the slide type plug, and my 79 has early round push on
one other thing i forgot to mention was on the ignition plug, i did not change any of the late harness side, and the two wires that are jumped were not moved either. i just matched up the wires to the matching colors on the other side, and it was good to go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
After running the harness I found out that alot of the plugs from the 85 fit the 83. Like the plugs going to the column for the lights turn hasards wipers and that stuff matched right up. The cluster will have to sodered to the 83 plugs but only for the stuff I need. I did eliminate alot of wires from the EFI harness and am in the process of doing the same to the dash. The ignition will have to be soldered together and I have to change out the fuse panel because the old one was burnt. It is coming together rather nice considering that I though it was going to be a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the pics gnob.

The steering colmns are differant and will not bolt right up without some serious fabbing. I am not in a fabbing mood and since most of the plugs matched up it would not be worth it anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts