Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
clutch is leaking by the pedal. is it time for new clutch mc?
clutch lining was smelling after going 4low last weekend at
hollister. clutch assembly is centerforce, +/- 30k miles. what was
wrong to it? thanx

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If it's leaking back into the cab, I would think it would be the MC, they are not that expensive. What do you mean by "clutch lining was smelling after going 4 lo"?? :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yup
Its definatelt time for a new clutch master. I've been through 4 or 5 I can't remember. I'm also burning out clutches in 4 lo. ( 3rd one on it's way out) It's time for Crawler gears....

hey Toyotaboy, you get those springs? I hope they are workin out for ya.
Mike;)

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
got the springs Fri.... is there a reason there not symetrical? just need to make up/buy some new hangars and i can throught those on. These things are thick! shure they flex?:D did you make your own hangers? exactly how far out form the frame do the mount? what type of metal did you use?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thats just how they came from Allpro, they looked symetrical to me? They do flex. They just look like they don't. Just wait till you put them on. I just used the Allpro hanger $30 each. I should have just built my own for way less. just go to the Allpro page for mounting instructions. I also recommend longer shackles.

Mike:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clutch

suspect, i was going up a trail on low gear and after passing it,
tc was shifted to off and i could smell the clutch. same smell as
putting the trans to 1st gear, tc on neutral and release the
clutch. rig does not move but clutch is burning. i know this smell
when i test-drove the rig in rubicon in 97 after installing the rear
lockrite. went about 1 mile inside then came back after i started
smelling the clutch burning because tc kept going neutral when
trans is shifted to neutral and shifted back to 1st w/out being
noticed.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Re: clutch

ray zapanta said:

tc was shifted to off and i could smell the clutch. same smell as
putting the trans to 1st gear, tc on neutral and release the
clutch. rig does not move but clutch is burning.
OK....1st off i'm confused as a baby in a topless bar!!! Let's see, if you put the trans in 1st gear....tc in nuetral (not off) and you smell the clutch burning?? I think your smelling the clutch burning from B4....not now. Think about it, 1st gear....nuetral t-case= zero resistance for the clutch to slip/burn up. Something's not right, or you're just confused.....I wish I could be more help:(

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
ALSO....a weak master cylinder will not completely disengage a pressure plate.....are you smelling the clutch burning up when you have the clutch pedal in or out???:confused:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What about a fawked pilot bearing??? (small bearing that is located in the tail of your crank, your input shaft on your transmission fits into this bearing......just a little info, in case you didn't know)

That is the only reason I can think of. A fawked bearing (seized or whatever) would constinously spin the input shaft.....but it would spin it at the ratio of 1:1, same ratio of 4th gear if you have a 5 speed if my memory serves me right.

It's late I can't think

EDIT: IF my suggestion was true, your trans would probably grind every time you went from nuetral to 1st or nuetral to 2nd well.....any nuetral to a gear selection:confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
clutch

trans on 1st gear, tc on neutral and i released the clutch. smell came out. this is what i said when i was in rubicon. thanx

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
OOP'S said:
Please explain how fluid leaking from the slave cylinder is going to leak in by the pedal!!!! Inquiring minds need to know!!!!:confused:
It's only a little plastic resivoir, the rod from the pedal goes in the back of it and that's where mine was leaking from

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

ray zapanta said:
trans on 1st gear, tc on neutral and i released the clutch. smell came out. this is what i said when i was in rubicon. thanx
If that is the case, then something internal has to be binding or just plain fawked to smoke a clutch under no load. What about when your tc is in a gear and your moving???? Does it still smoke the clutch??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
clutch

oil is leaking from the mc shaft that is bolted to the clutch pedal.
replacing the mc is the to go. i just checked other posts about
it and dual reservoir and thick booster from other models are the
way to go. thanx for all the responses.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

ray zapanta said:
oil is leaking from the mc shaft that is bolted to the clutch pedal.
replacing the mc is the to go. i just checked other posts about
it and dual reservoir and thick booster from other models are the
way to go. thanx for all the responses.

The dual resivoir and thick booster is a brake set-up....you are asking ????'s about a leaky clutch MC.....not brake MC and booster upgrades, did I miss something?? FAWK i'm tired:D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

ray zapanta said:
smell only on 4 low. gonna test it again tomorrow if clutch burns.
thanx

A clutch would take less abuse in 4-lo correct??? Providing you're not feathering the clutch....Put the front of the truck up on stands, leave the tc in nuetral or 2wd and grab the front d-shaft......try and turn it (w/ the hubs locked) If it turns freely, the obviously there's no resistance in the front end. IF there is binding then you'll have to drop the shaft to determine if there's binding in the front axle or the 4wd part of the t-case. Other than that.....i'm lost

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
clutch

oopps... missed that up. guess mc must be changed to fix leak.
about the clutch, i'm just gonna test it and see what would
happen from there. again, thanx for the responses.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
suspect said:

It's only a little plastic resivoir, the rod from the pedal goes in the back of it and that's where mine was leaking from
I know what a Master Cylinder is and where it is located but this is how toyotaboy answered "either that or a slave cyl" and I am still trying to figure out how the fluid from the "SLAVE CYLINDER" is going to make it to the MC rod and leak into the cab, please explain this to me!!!!! In the fifty years I have wrenched I have never seen fluid climb up hill and leak inside!!!!!:confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts