Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket on my '86 FJ60, and I'm not sure if I want to tackle it myself, or have a shop do it (Cha-Ching!!). Anyone having experience with replacing this vintage exhaust manifold gasket replacement please post up with your advice: i.e. are the manifold bolts prone to breaking off in the head? Are there any tips or tricks to replacing this gasket, etc.? Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The worst part of the job is labeling and removing all of the emissions junk. Once all that crap is out of the way, it's not that bad. Check the operation of your heat riser while you're in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Piece of cake. It's just parts. Label things and maybe take some picture of that mess of vacuum hoses before you start, then put everything back like you found it. Use some PB Blaster or something similar if the bolts give you problems and I like to use anti-sieze when I reassemble things on the exhaust system. It's really not that bad, it just seems like it until you get into things. It should only take a couple of hours or less.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It would be hard to get machined correctly as it is a 3 piece manifold. I know if I had it done locally they'd probably screw it up.

I've done this job. Get colored electrical tape and number it and just label all the hoses. It is not a hard job, just sort of a long one. Also, buy a long handled 3/8" ratchet wrench with the bent handle and movable head. You'll be glad you did for the back bolt along the firewall. Also, it isn't too terrible to do half in one day and do the other half the next day.

Another word of advice, check to see if it is the EGR donut leaking prior to disassembly. I went through all this work only to find out it wasn't an exhaust manifold leak at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts