Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe rear window on my '86 full size bronco will not go down. When i push the button, it will make a clunk noise and move about a quarter of an inch up or down, but thats it. I have tried taking all the bolts out of the top to make sure it wasnt binding to no avail. Whats going on? The power window motor must be working since its doing somthing but im not sure whats wrong.??? anyone know???

Jason Arms
Essex, VT
1984 Toyota 4Runner SR5
1986 Ford Bronco 351W

·
Registered
10 Posts
Plastic motor gear

9 times out of 10 its the plastic motor gear. If you can hear your motor working then its almost always that POS gear. They are about 15.00 on Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

MeanJ

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
MeanJ said:
9 times out of 10 its the plastic motor gear.
MeanJ
x2

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Ok....here's what's gonna have to be done. If it will lower the window a little, then mostlikely the gear is shot. However, you can go to the back and use your key there and when it comes down, grab it by the top and work it down with the motor going when you push slightly. It should then go enough for you to be able to open the tailgate. That's when the fun starts. You will need to open it up and get to the motor. This means you get to make the glass come "up" while in the lowered position....(Note: Do NOT! let the glass come all the way into the tailgate or this is gonna be an even bigger PITA)

Once the window is up while laying down, remove the access panel and proceed to taking out the motor. # screws is all that holds it in plus a plug for the wiring harness. Once removed another 3 screws open the housing and replace the4 gear.

Then just reverse the procedure and you're goood to go. However, if the motor is already moving slow, now is a great time to go ahead and replace it with a new one. Trust me...it will save a TON of time later.

Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you do not find the gear to be a problem, and the motor appears to be "weak", check for a current drop, usually from a poor connection. In this instance, the wires coming out of the gate to the body can be fatigued from the gate being opened and closed and can break inside the jacket. I found a current drop to be the problem with my window when i hooked a battery up directly to the motor and watched the window rocket up and down without hesitation as supposed to experiencing a similar problem that you mentioned. You could leave the window up and crawl in the back with a battery, remove the panel...its a pain yes, but thats what it took for me to get mine down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet, thanks all... i will give those a try and hopfully i can fix this. thanks again.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
On my old '89 the motor was fine, but the track on one side was FUBARED causing a bind.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thx, il check that out while im in there too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts