Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Wanted section... cross-posting here to get some more exposure...

I blew up my rear driver side brake (ripped the cylinder through the backing plate, etc..) and I'm having a hell of a time finding replacements. Border Parts, Scottys, Rancho Recyclers, and all the local yards basically laugh at me when I tell them I need parts for this axle.

I have decided to stay with drums over going with discs and I know someone here has done the disc conversion and has old drum parts lying around. please PM or email me.

thanks guys.

-gvb

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
you might want to look at some of the Wagoneer and Cherokee rear D44's to see if they use the same backing plate. also, look for older Cj's and postal jeeps. i believe most of them had D44's and may have had similar brake hardware.

somewhere on the backing plate should be a part #. i recall seeing one once that said "WAGNER" or some other brake company on it. you might be able to buy a new one.

matt

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
waggy, old cj, & scout 44's don't match up with this axle. either the bolt pattern is wrong, axle tube flange too small, backing plate too big, etc..

i guess i could upgrade to the bigger old cj 44 brakes, but then i'd have to drop cash on both sides of the axle. not having the hardware here, not sure that it would work anyway.

i've got "BENDIX 3209291-L" on the backing plate.. havn't called bendix yet, but I have a feeling they would have no idea. Jeep dealership says the part was discontinued ages ago.

i'll stick with stock hardware.. someone has to have something out there.

-gvb

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have got the same Jeep, and had a hell of a time coming up with shafts for that axle. I will look at home tonight, but don't think I have parts for you. Wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
78,528 Posts
gvb said:
I posted this in the Wanted section... cross-posting here to get some more exposure...

I blew up my rear driver side brake (ripped the cylinder through the backing plate, etc..) and I'm having a hell of a time finding replacements. Border Parts, Scottys, Rancho Recyclers, and all the local yards basically laugh at me when I tell them I need parts for this axle.

I have decided to stay with drums over going with discs and I know someone here has done the disc conversion and has old drum parts lying around. please PM or email me.

thanks guys.

-gvb

Well it seems you already called M.I.T. huh. I just talked to Karen
and she told me they have them waiting for you. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, Karen told me they had a backing plate, but they want $40 for it, and I still need ALL the other hardware for that driver side, EVERYTHING was bent or broken inside the drum.

I'm heading over to MIT now to see if they have some other brake parts.

-gvb

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
gvb said:
Yea, Karen told me they had a backing plate, but they want $40 for it, and I still need ALL the other hardware for that driver side, EVERYTHING was bent or broken inside the drum.

I'm heading over to MIT now to see if they have some other brake parts.

-gvb
How much $$ are you going to blow on this fix?

I am in a similar boat with a 44 I got for my XJ. Needs everything so I am going ZJ discs on it for just a little bit more $$ than replacing the drums chit.

I don't know what it woul take for an '86 CJ 44 but some earlier NT ones can take discs from a 6-bolt d30. That would be cheap and let you retain the 5 on 5.5. You do lose your e-brake though...that's what line locks are for.

I just don't understand why you would spend the $$ on something that is ugradeable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gnrrpreacher said:

I don't know what it woul take for an '86 CJ 44 but some earlier NT ones can take discs from a 6-bolt d30. That would be cheap and let you retain the 5 on 5.5. You do lose your e-brake though...that's what line locks are for.
I've had trouble finding any solid info on the disc conversion for this 1/2 year dana 44. It seems that there is always a headache involved (finding someone to re-drill rotors, shaving off 1/4" of the axle tube to fit the rotor, etc..). No way I'm spending $700 at TSM.

I've decided to keep what I've got because I think it will be plenty of stopping power. After turning the drums, new shoes, and cleaning everything up I should be able to hold myself on anything.

-gvb

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gna said:
put the Modle 20 stuff on there its the same. I know there are tons of those out there.
Are you 100% sure that the AMC20 brake parts are the exact same as the '86 Jeep d44?

-gvb

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I asked at Napa the brake pads are the same. I have a 86 44 in my garage and a 20 and all the parts look the same. I mean everything springs adjusters and such. The backing plates I know are the same because I bolted the cylinders to the 44. I haven't had time to do the rest,but I would bet they are all the same from what I can see. Jsut call a parts store and have them cross a few of the parts......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm... i'll' have to check myself... everyone told me the 20 and 44 use different parts.

thanks gna.

-gvb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts